We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound long beach to san diego

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Greyhound long beach to san diego

Greyhound bus between long beach and san diego easiest/safe/time option for a 26yr old solo female traveller? I am from the UK. I will be in long beach for 3 nights, 1 night in san diego, and back to long beach for 2 nights. I am aiming to visit the zoo and sea world while in san diego.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Try Bolt Bus as well. The SD locals can tell you if safer than Greyhound. I have been seeing their orange coaches all over.

Edited - just saw Long Beach. Bolt is out of Union Station so perhaps won't work. Where is the LB stop? May be ok if during the day.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 00:43
Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Long Beach greyhound is at long Beach boulevard. I would like to leave in morning so have full day at sea world/zoo.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Amtrak offers a bus service from Long Beach to Santa Ana, and a transfer to the Pacific Surfliner Train, and I would much prefer that to Greyhound.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

That station is not in the best neighborhood. I remember reading an article in the LB Telegram about it but the article is not available online anymore. It is an independent stop that also serve Mexican coaches. Here are the photos …mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp…

Can you rent a car? Go on a tour group? How will you get to the parks in SD? Even if driving, you can not see both zoo and Sea World in the same day and do them justice.

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Thanks. Do you know how long that would take/cost

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Oh I see you are spending the night in SD. The Amtrak option will be more expensive than Greyhound and probably take longer as it is a scenic ride. Darkbeer gave you the website. Please research it.

For your purpose, I think Greyhound is ok if you keep your streetsmart and travel during daytime.

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

I will be doing the zoo on the Friday and sea world on the Saturday. I am not keen to drive as I have never driven abroad and I will be on my own.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

I looked for you. About $60 one way bus-train and takes longer with only one train per day 9am -2pm. Your Greyhound is $16 and 2 hrs with many trips a day. Still the best option short of driving. Again, safe if you have streets smarts. I know many families with children that used that LB station from my former job when I worked in Long Beach very close to that station.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 02:01
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,574 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

Maybe it is just me, but I'd never let a single, female relative of mine ride a Greyhound bus any place. Take the train from Fullerton, Anaheim or Santa Ana and get to the train station using a public bus or private shuttle.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound long beach to san diego

It may have been an ignorance is bliss kind of thing, but my parents put me on Greyhound from SF to Simi Valley overnight so I wouldn't miss a Disneyland trip when I was in high school. It was quite an experience and I didn't sleep but a wink.

More recent info - like I said I know many families who travel with their kids or send their teens alone to the other seperated parent by Greyhound because they do not have the means to fly. Many hardworking folks use it. If OP were to flash wealth and jewelry etc, she may be a target. But she must decide her comfort level. Don't know if petty or violent crimes on Greyhound are a big problems.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 03:59