We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Gualala?

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Gualala?

OK, so after my disastrous dealings with the (very allegedly) nicest lodgings in Sea Ranch (see: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k7012199-Road_trip_from_the_Bay_area-California.html), I decided to just rent a house there for my road trip.

Found the most amazing house! Now I'm just wondering if I should go up on Thursday or Friday (leaving Sunday either way). On this forum I have been told that there are art galleries and shops in Gualala, but when I google-map street-viewed the place, it looked a little grim, and sparse.

Now, I did find a gym (very important to BF) and a spa, and a couple of restaurants that look good, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a better idea of what the Gualala experience has to offer.

(Also, if anyone can tell me if the spa is a good one?)

What I am trying to decide is if Gualala has enough going on to make going there on Thursday worthwhile. That would mean I'd have Friday and Saturday to stay occupied. I don't want to get bored, but it's kind of a long way to drive just to stay in a gorgeous house and spend one day in a nearby hamlet.

So?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

Not familiar with the area but glad you are giving it another go. Will let others chime in.

On a side note, cityslicker boy doesn't hike or kayak AND needs a gym for a romantic getaway?!? He needs a talking to... and learn to work out alternatively. :)

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

bump?

Or should I take the dearth of responses to indicate a similar lack of things to do in Gualala?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

To me the Gualala experience would be reading a few books, preferably near a fireplace and going out for leisurely walks.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,415 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

If you mean actually in the area known as Gualala, and as in walking around like you might in Carmel, no, there is very little to do. Here is the booming center of Gualala.

http://goo.gl/maps/DGYSg

People go to Gualala to get away from it all. If you want a town in Mendocino with lots to do, that is Fort Bragg.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

OK, so sitting by one of the two (!!) fireplaces in the kick-as* house (less than a third of the price of that rude lodge, BTW) and reading books it is. Maybe some backgammon. Driving to Gualala for dinner at least once. I will get that man on an outdoor hike along the bluffs if it's the last thing I do on this earth!

I do appreciate the Fort Bragg suggestion. Checked it out, but at 1 & 1/2 hours away, it's too much. Especially since it's going to take us 3+ hours just to get to Sea Ranch from San Francisco. Their botanical garden does look lovely, though.

While I love Carmel & Monterey, we have been there many times, and this trip is supposed to be a surprise. If I headed south, he would guess it immediately.

Anyway, the real point it the drive, and CA-1 is going to be awesome. Too bad he won't let me drive his Porsche!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,729 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

Nobody who has answered yet seems to have been in Gualala.

Yes, there is an Arts Center, a good one, and galleries in town. I thought I gave you the link for the Arts Center.

Here is the google page for that, which will give you a lot more information.

https://www.google.com/#q=Gualala+arts+center

And this

http://www.gualalaarts.org/Events/index.html

I told you about the trails. They are a must, whether you decide to stroll the meadows and the bluffs or climb a little on the hills for whitewater views of the ocean. There is a stable. I don't know whether there are horses for rent for guests, if you are riders.

Here is a link of things to do at Sea Ranch.

searanchrentals.com/things-to-do-in-the-sea-…

Food. You probably don't want to eat at the Sea Ranch Lodge after your experience with them. Here is a very up-class restaurant a few miles north of Gualala. I think I gave this to you, as well. (It also has lodging.)

https://www.google.com/#ghq=Gualala,+CA&ludocid=16236362819158117596&q=St.+Orres+Restaurant

Pricey, but excellent.

There are restaurants in the town. When we have rented a house there we enjoy barbequing a time or two, and staying in with the fireplace. Two good markets in town. There is a fantastic bakery up by the airport...Two Fish Bakery....we have to drive up there for breakfast pastries and etc. and etc. But they sell out early.

https://www.google.com/#q=two+fish+bakery+sea+ranch+ca

There is a county park between Sea Ranch and Gualala, near the river with some interesting exhibits in its visitor center.

I am glad you have a house there, rather than a hotel. I do think you will enjoy it, once you zone into it.

I have emailed my sister in law who, with my husband's brother, have a lovely home at Sea Ranch overlooking the ocean, to have her clue me in on "might life". I think the answer will be to go up to Point Arena for a movie <grin>

Forget Fort Bragg. dull, dull, dull.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,729 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

OH....would you please send me the link to the kick-a** house you have rented? We refer people up there all the time and I need some more resources. Thank you.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

Just to be sure: you get bored easily? Chuck.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

Because if you do, I just read the official town website and one of the suggestions for things to do is: "Relax". You maybe shouldn't stay too long? Chuck.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,729 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Gualala?

OK, Grenadine, the reply from my sister-in-law, the one who lives at Sea Ranch.

Ok, some suggestions.

1. If she is staying on The Sea Ranch, she has access to wonderful walks or hikes, many beaches to roam, a heated swimming pool, and sauna.

2. At the Oleson center there is the native garden if plants are her thing

3. Of course there is Two Fish (I believe open Thurs to Sun) with great baked goodies. It is a place most visitors try to get to. They also offer pizza some evenings.

4. Restaurnats - well, we were hit pretty hard by the economic turn, but we do have some good restaurants. Saint Orres is over the top gourmet and expensive, but delicious. Trinks is great for morning coffee and lunch. She does some dinners too. Cove Azul is good and reliable. There are a couple mexican restaurants too. In Anchor bay is a thai restaurant and a mexican one. Bones is a road house - lots of atmosphere of a bikers sort of mentality, but very good ribs, hamburgers, etc.

5. We like the gym. I believe it is about $12 to come in and use it if you are not a member. Equipment is good.

6. Gualala Arts is always good to see. The show right now has to do with glass. I haven't seen it yet, but have heard it is good. Also, they are presenting an old time radio production this weekend which we sadly are going to miss as we have to head to Canada.

7. Galleries include -

Alinder Gallery - Ansel Adams photography

Henleys Art & Interiers

Dolphin Gallery

Placewares

And more!

This is a bit of an artist enclave.

8. Shopping -

Four Eyed Frog Books store is a must - tell Joel and Jeremy Gerda sent you

Accents by the Sea for outstanding choices in cooking utensils, glasses, olive oil, and more.

Placewares - has a gallery and some incredible other things - one of our favorites. The owner is also a designer

Red Stella - for really nice clothes - not cheap, but lots of fun

Cotton Field too for clothing

People come here and fill the town on holidays and weekends. They wander, eat, shop, and mostly really enjoy the rugged coast.

Guess that's what I can think of for now. I am sure I have forgotten something!