We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing dates

Doncaster East...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
changing dates

hi, not too sure if this is the place to ask this question so if theres is a different forum can you please advise me off it. my question i have is were planning a 8-9 week trip to the usa in 2014

our first dates we had was from early may to mid july but now as ive done further research it seems its better if we go from mid july to mid september hotels and tours seem alot less cheaper then, can someone please help me by telling me should we move our trip from may to july? we are coming from australia and will be our first trip and will be seeing many parts of the us including florida new york las vegas etc hope someone can help thanks in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,965 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing dates

The main US Summer vacations or when many US folks travel is from early June to mid August to coincide with school holidays. Rates for hotels and airfares do go up but there is a lot to do and see then. But if one overlaps at the start or at the end , to get better deals, that is fine as well, September and October are both great months to visit the US.

Now that does not mean hotel rates go down. SF is packed due to conventions in sept and oct and NYC has many shows in fall

To plan your overall vacation please use the road trips forum but do layout an itinerary. CA will take 2-3 weeks to scratch the surface

Edited: 15 December 2013, 01:33
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing dates

"... mid july to mid september hotels and tours seem alot less cheaper then."....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I find that hard to believe. August is our heaviest travel month and lodging rates are at their highest. September is when the convention schedule starts to heat up in San Francisco and rates will be through the roof.

If you're finding lower rates for mid July to mid September, then I applaud your efforts, but then I wonder what kind of hotels you might be finding with lower rates for that really busy time of year.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing dates

Both of those timeframes are fine to visit. Are flight prices much different? I too find it hard to believe hotels are cheaper July-Sept.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changing dates

8-9 week trip to the usa in 2014

---------

Where in the USA?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing dates

From the OP:

<<florida new york las vegas >>

I can perhaps see why, for these destinations, that earlier in the summer are cheaper as they all get hot and nasty in full blown summer months (Florida especially).

But you have posted in the California forum. Are you planning time in the state?

If you have a far flung itinerary which encompasses many states, you'll have to research each individually. California is generally cheaper prior to Memorial Day which kicks off our summer season.

Doncaster East...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: changing dates

i found new york to be $600 less for good accommodation if we was there in august by time september hits we will be spending 3 weeks in florida and still then i found disney hotels it was going cost me in july 7 days to stay at wdw $2140 but in september it will be $1448 flights seem to be about $200 less per person for return, areas we will be seeing are in this order : anahiam-san diego-hollywood-san fran-santa cruz-las vegas-new york-florida-ending in Orlando we wont be driving at all only using the public transport system and flying and staying in just motels or cheap hotels

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,965 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changing dates

Let's focus on the Ca part of your trip . please have a look at the top questions on the right for info and sample itineraries There are buses to get from LAX to the cities and local trains such as metro link and Amtrak to travel from SD to Anaheim and to LA

SF has its own MUNI system.

The issue is getting from SF to Sants Cruz which could be done via an airport shuttle but it is hard to go around and see the amazing CA coast or visit Monterey and Carmel.

It may be better to do a guided overnight tours to that area . How about Yosemite ?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changing dates

Why Anaheim if you are going to WDW too? Save that time for more unique CA attractions. Do you not like nature? No Yosemite or Big sur? Lots of urban areas. But I guess to each his own...

Doncaster East...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: changing dates

we want to see both disney parks as they do offer a few differnt things and being huge disney fans its a must, we are already doing yosemite on our way to las vegas taking the bus from san fran through yosemite onto las vegas

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,965 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: changing dates

Bus to LV via Yosemite. From SF ? Is this a guided tour that one zooms through or are you staying in YNP for a couple of days

Both Disney locations parks are fun especially if you are into Disney so please have fun.