We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch between San Diego and LA

Trevose...
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch between San Diego and LA

Can anyone suggest a place to stop for lunch. We will be driving from San Diego Airport to LA. I think we will probably take Route 5 to get to LA.

Maybe somewhere with good sandwiches, or maybe barbeque, or maybe somewhere that serves breakfast all day. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just good food. Three of us a seafood lovers, but one is not!

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

Where in "LA" are you heading? The I-5 might or might not be the best way to go.

There are so many thousands of restaurants it is impossible to say.

About half way is Laguna Hills and a little further, the Irvine Spectrum. Both areas have lots of restaurants right off the freeway. Laguna Hills has King's Fish House, and they have more than fish, BJ's Brewhouse, Slater's 50/50, Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que and Bru Market & Grill.

Here is the Irvine Spectrum restaurants. Love Capital Seafood for dim sum, Cucina Enoteca for Italian, Pieology Pizzeria and Tender Greens.

shopirvinespectrumcenter.com/Restaurants.aspx

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,955 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

We like the Cedar Creek Inn in San Juan Capistrano, just off the freeway. Sit outside in the pretty patio. Mission SJC is across the street.

www.cedarcreekinn.com/menu.php…

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,456 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

One of my favorite small, family-run "chains" is Avilas El Ranchito who happen to have a restaurant in Lake Forest. They have wonderful food in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. Don't be put off by my use of the word "chains". They have 11 locations in Los Angeles and Orange County. Each restaurant is under the personal care of a family member.

24406 Muirlands Blvd

Lake Forest, CA 92630

(949) 855-4989

http://www.avilaselranchito.com/

Edited: 17 December 2013, 14:31
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,536 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

Hey Vic, nice to see you here. Do you get to "the other OC" very often??

I live Avila's too, they have a branch in Corona del Mar too.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,456 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

"Hey Vic, nice to see you here. Do you get to "the other OC" very often??"

Once a year to visit our daughter in Irvine. I usually go to the Avila's in Costa Mesa, but tried the one in Lake Forest for the first time last March. It was a very nice experience.

FWIW, I am a native Angelino and UCLA Bruin alumnus.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 15:11
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,268 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

Where are you headed in LA? The 405 is most likely the right freeway - and frankly, I recommend taking the detour to Laguna Beach - it's gorgeous and a must-visit stop for lunch. I like Zinc, but no views.

7. Re: Lunch between San Diego and LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:19