We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

I have about a day where I'm travelling between Furnace Creek area and to a motel in 29 palms near Joshua Tree. The drive will take about 4 hours, but since I am planning to be at Zabriskie Point for sunrise, I have almost the full day with no idea what to see. I hear there is Mojave National Preserve in between but not sure what to see there or anywhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Mojave National Preserve
Mojave National Preserve
207 Reviews
California
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Sorry, I'm here late and it's bedtime, but I'll come back tomorrow. Meanwhile, I suggest going to the Death Valley National Park forum here and checking out some of the threads. There are many conversations about things to see and do in Death Valley. One day is about enough to scratch the surface, and you'll have plenty of interesting things to see.

Take a look at the park website as well, for detailed descriptions and suggested activities.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

@Frisco_Roadrunner - No worries man. I forgot to clarify, I'm already spending 2 days in Death Valley. I have the third day in case I can't get to something in the valley plus travel to 29 palms.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Once outside DVNP you can drive from Shoshone to Baker. In Baker you'll find the tallest thermometer in the world but it's out of order and for sale. From Baker take Kelbaker road and watch for sand in the dips. There are lavabeds along the road (Cinder cones Lava beds) but you'll have to drive a dirtroad out to Lava tube. You'll reach Kelso with the great depot and visitor center. Unfortunately its restaurant The Beanery is currently closed but you can see the classic U-shaped bar. Then drive south on Kelbaker road from Kelso and see Kelso "roaring" dunes. A good gravel road (4 miles) leads to the trailhead.

South of the dunes are some great rockformations at the right hand side of the road called Granite Mountains Nature Reserve. You'll pass under I40 to end at National Trails Highway (R66)

Turn right and stop at the fallen Shoe tree before Amboy and also see the new signs from recent R66 travellers. Amboy has Roy's Cafe. A must stop and an R66 icon. There's a fuel pump but its expensive. Lots of trains in that area. 1 mile long freight trains mostly.

From Amboy see Amboy Crater and turn left on Amboy Rd. Drive through saltflats and continue till you get to Twentynine Palms. Don't forget to see some murals in 29Palms.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Amboy
Amboy
California
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Like Tet said, the lava tubes are off a dirt road,so you may not want to go there, but even sticking to the pavement the drive from Baker to Kelso is nice.

https:/…

Be sure to stop at the depot. There is a good museum inside detailing the ranching and railroad influence on the area. Fun to sit on the patio and watch the mile long trains roll by.

Look for the tortoise crossing signs on Kelbaker Road near the dunes.

Before Amboy on the right is the bra/shoe tree. On the left closer to town the original shoe tree that has fallen.

Amboy Crater is not far from Roys. You could hike that.

After crossing the RR tracks, you can often get nice colorful water shots of the settling basins of the salt works on the lakebed.

Utah Trail Street takes off from Amboy Road and is the north entrance to JTNP.

If you wanted to alter up the route a little, at Baker, take I-15 north to Cima Road. This goes thru a great part of the preserve that has more Joshua Trees than Joshua Tree NP.Completely different than the Kelbaker Road route. Teutonia Peak trail is along that route, and you can stop at the Mojave Cross on the other side of the road.

https:/…

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Salt Pond pics

flickriver.com/photos/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

Fantastic! Thanks all

7. Re: What to see between Furnace Creek, DV & Joshua Tree in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18