We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eugene Or to Novato Ca

Covington...
7 posts
Save Topic
Eugene Or to Novato Ca

Hi,

sorry if this has been covered, but Ive been searching for a while and cant find it. I am moving back to California in the beginning of January and Im a little scared of going over the passes in Oregon. Im thinking the coastal route might be best for my nerves. I see I can take the 126 from Eugene to Florence and it takes about an hour, but how long from Florence to the Northern tip of the SF bay area, Novato?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

According to Google it is a bit less than 8 hours via I-5, compared to 10.5 via the coast. While it is reasonable make the drive in one day via I-5, you probably have to take 2 days on the coast.

What concerns you about I-5 and the mountains? If it is snow, you can check road conditions before leaving, and time you trip to hit the high passes after 11:00 or so to allow any ice to melt.

If it is curvy mountain roads with cliffs on one side, you need to avoid the coast. It is curvy and has cliffs, while I-5 is a freeway the whole way. In a big storm which would bring snow to the mountains, the coast road can have issues too.

If you are driving a U-haul or other rental truck, I wouldn't consider the coast unless snow was very bad in the passes.

On the other hand, if you want a nice scenic drive the coast can't be beat.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

You would still be traveling through altitudes high enough for snow to effect the two lane highway to Florence......The coastal route itself is lovely, but even in the summer time it takes at least twice as long to get to the Bay area than it would take if you drove on I-5.....

I absolutely hate driving (or being a passenger) on those major freeways, too, so I can understand where you are coming from......How about flying ?......If not, then plan on spending at least two days driving the coastal route....

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

It takes us about nine hours (with stops here and there for bathroom breaks, food, and gas) going in the opposite direction (from Santa Rosa to Newport). We do leave super early (about 5 AM) and get a lot of mileage before traffic starts hitting the road. The trip is much more pleasant than I5 but it is slower. Maybe you can take an overnight break along the way so you can slow down a bit and enjoy the scenery, etc.?

Covington...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

I just get scared on freeways and especially in the snow, if its snowing. Im a southern California gal, and dont know anything about snow. I know I can check to make sure there is no snow. I was worried that the coastal route would have cliffs too.

Covington...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

I dont have a uhaul, just a toddler who hates to be in the car so I dont want to be stressed. I did make the trip up through the passes last year but I was behind my husband who was hauling a uhaul so we went really slow.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

There are no scary cliffs between Florence and Novato, unless you continue your trip along Route 1 in California instead of Hwy. 101. Hwy. 101 is inland and goes thru the redwoods.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

PS Your child might enjoy the redwood drive through tree located just off Hwy.101 in Klamath, CA. I remember how my boys used to love that!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

Hello kjensen and welcome to the forums. I've lived on the Oregon coast just north of Florence for many many years and traveled up and down it countless times.

First, you need to bookmark this website for Oregon:

www.tripcheck.com

That will tell you the road conditions before you leave on your journey.

Now, if you are afraid of cliffs, you need to know that there are a few cliffs along Hwy 101. Not many! You'll drive along some between Gold Beach and Brookings, but it's not bad at all. You won't be going right on the edge with a short guardrail!

However, south of Crescent City, Calif, you WILL be along a very high cliff right on the edge. It's a very short stretch for maybe 2-3 miles and everybody will be going slowly, so unless you have a severe case of acrophobia, you should be okay. Also, they are working along this top section so there will be an auto stoplight which keeps traffic moving more slowly.

In January, there is always a chance of snow in the half dozen mountain sections of I-5. You should watch the weather carefully in the week leading up to your trip. Use that www.tripcheck.com website plus check the weather on the Medford stations:

www.kobi5.com

www.ktvl.com

www.kdrv.com

Do realize that if there is a storm, Hwy 126 will have some snow on it as well, but not nearly as much as the inland mountains. An alternative route to the coast - in the event of a cold storm - would be to take I-5 south to Hwy 99 and Hwy 38 to Reedsport, or I-5 south to Hwy 42 west to Bandon. Both are *low* elevation highways.

You should allow one overnight along the way. Brookings and Crescent City have a variety of lodging on all price ranges.

You'll be moving to a warmer climate :-) I've been in Eugene this past week and darn it is *cold* here - much colder than on the coast!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

With a grumpy child, and a nervous driver, think about asking a friend who is comfortable with driving to join you (a good friend... ) and offer to pay for a plane ticket home... Make the drive an event... fun stops for lunch... stopping at any road side attraction... add a day (with some expenses) to make the trip fun rather than a chore.

Randy

Covington...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eugene Or to Novato Ca

good advice everyone thank you! I think what i will do is just go ahead on the passes. I will just make sure its not snowy. I dont have the time or the money to make many stops. Thank you for your help everyone!