We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Inverleigh...
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Hey Guys, I'm 20 and from Australia and am hoping to do the Camp America program next year. Afterwards I have 1-2 months to travel and I would really like to do a solo road trip on a motorcycle traveling from LA up the coast to Oregon then across to Yellowstone, down through Salt Lake City, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and possibly Phoenix, then up to Las Vegas and back to LA.

I was just wondering if there's any people out there that have experience with solo motorcycle trips and could give me some advice?

I've looked around, and all the rental companies I could find say you have to be 21 to rent, so I assume I'd have to buy one. So I was wondering if any travellers had experience registering and insuring a vehicle in the US and could tell me about time, costs etc?

Also is there anywhere along my route I should steer clear of?

Thanks guys

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve
Canyons, Nature & Wildlife Areas, State Parks
Noble Canyon
Canyons, Biking Trails
Peters Canyon Regional Park
Canyons, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Biking Trails, Hiking Trails
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,735 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Hi

Multi-state questions are usually posted on the Road Trips forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri… There have been 'buy a car' questions posted, but 'buy a motorcycle' questions might be new. The inability to get insurance and / or registration will be the same.

Repost there and see what they say.

Good luck!

Inverleigh...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Thanks man, will do

LA
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Better yet, go visit www.horizonsunlimited.com

It is a specific forum for motorcycle travels throughout the world.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

In order to make this trip, youll need a bike nothing less than 650cc, depending how large a person you are. This will set you back several thousand dollars. And then what do you do with it when you are done? Since you have only a year to go, maybe you should wait until you are 21 to make this trip? Chuck.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,966 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

I agree with Chuck.

Buying and registering and insuring a motor vehicle requires a local address, I believe, and this would be true of a motorcycle. as well. And then you have the problem of selling it.

You might put this out on the Thorntree Forum of Lonely Planet. They get a lot of questions about this and seem to have an expertise of all of the laws and rules.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 02:06
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

I did a trip like this in 1968 after returning from Vietnam. I had a 1965 Truimph T120 Bonneville 650. Rode from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico, California, Arizona, Nevada, California, (death Valley in Aug) Oregon and Washington. Trip of my life! I'll never forget a moment of it. Chuck.

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Nevada
Nevada
United States
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington
Washington
United States
LA
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

I would wait and do the trip when you are 21. For a variety of reasons.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,966 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

Well, I hope chuckw can figure out how to make it work as a non-resident. It sounds like a lot of fun, although I have only been on a motorcycle once in my life, and that as a passenger for a total of about 10 miles. :~)

9. Re: Solo West Coast Road Trip (motorcycle)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19