We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

Hi,

Never tried this method before, but nothing gained etc..... We are planning our most adventurous holiday ever, well in terms of planning anyway...! I would be grateful of anyone's ideas/tips to improve and maybe keep the cost down as well would be appreciated.

Anyway, the paln at the moment is as follows:

Days 1-3 Fly into San Francisco and then trvel down to Monterey Bay for 2 nights

Days 4-6 Road trip down to Las Vegas

Days 7-9 Up to Bryce Canyon

Days 10-12 Up to Yosemite

Days 13-16 Spend some time at Lake Tahoe

Days 16-21 In the city of San Francisco (Over 4 July)!

So, in my mind completely acheivable and I am researching right now the details of Flights, accommodation etc. So if anyone has any great ideas or things to avoid I would really appreciate the tips. Oh by the way there will be 4 of us travelling, Mum & Dad with the kids aged 12/16 respectively. Thanks in advance for the help....

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

Monterey to Las Vegas is quite a long drive, about 8hrs. or so.

Bryce to Yosemite is also a long day.

Does your family like to spend lots of time in the car?

As this is your first post here on Trip Advisor you might like to know that there is a dedicated road trip forum. Here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Since your trip includes places outside California they may have lots more info for you.

To find specifics about each city/or Yosemite it is best to go to that forum and read the info on the right side of the page under Top Questions. You can also read reviews about lodging and ask specific questions. Yosemite lodging books 1 year in advance so I'd take a look there first!

Welcome to the forums and happy planning!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

"...Days 4-6 Road trip down to Las Vegas"...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By "down", do you mean via the coast through Big Sur? That would make for one REALLY exhausting day!! 8 hours? Only if you drive straight through without ANY stops, traffic, accidents, etc. en route.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

I assume you have your *drive times* included in your days as you list them. But if not.....

It would be helpful to post your itinerary more like this....

Day 1 fly into San Francisco, drive to Monterey

Days 2 and 3 in Monterey

Days 4-6 Drive to Las Vegas.....Las Vegas

Day 7 Drive to Bryce

Day 10 drive to Yosemite

etc.

OR

Day 4 Drive to Las Vegas with a stop in XXXX

You did not say you were going to drive the Big Sur Coast, but if you are you will definitely need a stop for a night, as Kibbles said. I don't "do" Las Vegas so I don't know the details of how long from Monterey, or from he logical overnights after the Big Sur drive if you are planning on that.

We find that easterners often do not realize the vast distances in California travel, so we want to be sure you are not taking on too much in a day.

You are definitely on the right track to a great trip. Just give us a little more detail so that we can give you some local advice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

My 8 hr. estimate was without stops and not driving down the coastal road!

That would add much more time to the drive to Las Vegas!

5. Re: California & San Francisco Hoilday ideas/tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:17