We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Topic
driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

I will be driving from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe and I would like suggestions on things to see on the way. I especially would like to see some big red wood trees.. or any BIG trees. Suggestions please??

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

For Sierra Redwoods, Placer Big Tree Grove in Foresthill may be the closest to your likely routes. How much time do you have? Nevada City and Malakoff Diggings State Park are scenic, but you might first calculate how much time it will take to get to the redwood grove.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

p.s. north shore or south shore of Tahoe? Time of year?

arounddonnersummit.com/places/placer_big_tre…

Edited: 08 January 2014, 20:20
honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

I'm thinking North Lake Tahoe. Does it make a difference? Don't you need to travel through South Lake Tahoe to get to North Lake Tahoe? Sorry, I am not familiar with the area at all. We are planning this drive in early to mid May. Timewise, I am thinking we just wanted to stop somewhere on the drive up from Sacramento to North Lake Tahoe.. so a couple hours (?). Is there somewhere near South Lake Tahoe? We are still in the planning stage so any input will be very much appreciated and helpful.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

We take the 80 out of Sacramento to the north shore of Lake Tahoe to Truckee. You would take the 50 if you wanted to go to SLT.

Check out Donner Lake area, walk around the cute shops in historic Truckee, choose the 89 to go to Tahoe City or the 267 to Kings Beach or Incline Village, NV for lakefront accommodations.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

>>Don't you need to travel through South Lake Tahoe to get to North Lake Tahoe? <<

No. From Sacramento you get to North Lake Tahoe by taking Hwy 80 and South Lake Tahoe by taking Hwy 50.

(typing at the same time as CAnative.)

Edited: 08 January 2014, 23:37
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

Speaking of Donner Lake, there is a Donner Memorial State Park there on the site where the Donner Party spent their fateful winter on their way to California.

honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

Thank you. Any recommendations on where to eat on our way up? And how about recommendations for a place to stay near the lake?

honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

Interesting. I'll have to look that up. Thanks. I'm totally unaware of the Donner "event".

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

Donner Party = stranded pioneers who had to resort to cannibalism.

We usually make a stop in Auburn www.oldtownauburnca.com/visitorcenter.php

When you are in Sacramento, you need to follow I-80 towards Reno to get to North Lake Tahoe. 50 goes to South Lake Tahoe. That can be confusing to some folks.

honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from sacramento to Lake tahoe

ohhh thank you! Any one or two things you can point out in Auburn? Maybe a lunch stop recommendation?

If I-80 goes towards Reno, would you suggest flying out of Reno? as opposed to driving back to Sacramento to fly out?