We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

Montreux...
Level Contributor
229 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

Hello,

we're almost planning our next summer trip to California and we want to be on the road between San Francisco and Los Angeles (Venice Beach or Airport area).

We'd like to start from San Francisco, then 1 or 2 nights in Monterey/Carmel aera, 1 night in Morro Bay and then 1 or 2 nights in LA.

What do you recommend us, is it a goop planning or do we need more nights ? What are the best spots to visits and highlights ?

We might then also drive south to San Diego and spend 1 or 2 more nights there.

Thanks for the help and we appreciate that.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

There is a primer on highway 1 in the top questions and Monterey and Cambria or Pismo beach are suggested stops Moro bay is fine

While not mandatory most would suggest 3-4 full days in sf and la and 2 days to do the drive

Plenty of better places to stay in LA so check the top questions in the los Angeles forum

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

I'd rather stay Santa Monica than Venice or close to the a/p. Don't miss Santa Barbara on the way to LA.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

I tend to think you'd want more time in LA, but that's up to you. Don't stay near the airport in LA, it tends to be far from most things of interest to tourist and almost all the airport hotels are located in dull, industrial areas.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

There are other places I would choose to stay than Morro Bay. Either Cambria or Pismo Beach come to mind. Or Avila Beach. Do you want to visit Hearst Castle? If so, I would add a night to the central coast.

orlando
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

What is the a/p?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

a/p ... I'm thinking "airport."

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

Yes, airport!

8. Re: 1 week drive from San Francisco to LAX, where to stop ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:16