We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing in beer from UK

united kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bringing in beer from UK

I hope someone can help. Does anyone know whether I can bring in some cases of beer from the UK into California? I have e-mailed the California Alcohol Control Board but have not received a reply. It does state on their website that a person over 21 is allowed to bring in 60 litres if for personal use (which it is) but I don't want to bring in that much! But I also e-mailed San Francisco airport and was told 1 litre only but that is the duty free allowance. I am not talking about the duty free allowance - I don't mind paying duty - but I just want to make sure that I am allowed to bring in about 24 litres (2 cases). I just cannot get to the bottom of it!!

I really hope someone can help as I don't want to do anything wrong! Thanks.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

"Get to the bottom of it" haha. I don't have any official knowledge, but it seems as long as you bring in less than 60 litres you'd be fine. And you'll have to pay duty for anything over 1 litre.

Those must be some fine beers to bring all the way to SF.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
918 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

I'd check with your airline carrier first. They usually have minimal restrictions on the quantity of beer and wine, but more limits on hard alcohol. They do want it packed securely (ie. container made for shipping), not the case you pick-up from a liquor store.

What beer are you bringing us?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

This question is more of being nosey than helping.....

Why are you bringing all the beer? California has a number of OUTSTANDING beers and there is an excellent bet that whatever you bring here can be purchased here already.

Dr. Z ( a beer fan myself )

united kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

The "beer" is actually 3.5% cider but would be classed as "beer". It is a gift for a friend and I know that it cannot be found in California. I have checked with my airline and have been told it is fine to take in checked baggage. But I really need to know whether I can bring it into California. It doesn't seem like a difficult question but I just cannot seem to get a firm answer from anywhere:(

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

You will be given a customs declaration form and one of the categories will be alcohol and spirits. You'll check that you have those things with you. As long as you are under 60 liters (they'll ask you how much you have in your luggage), you'll be fine. They are unlikely to even check to see how much you have, but they could if they wanted to. You'll want specially designed packaging to check those through (I'm assuming bottles and I'm hoping you're bringing us Rekorderlig or whatever that amazing cider we can't get here is called).

On the form, you'll state your citizenship and write out your passport number.

Now, we've brought foodstuff through customs very recently (and declared it, along with other goods we were bringing in from another country as gifts). We have also done this six months ago and one year ago. So far, we have heard nothing from customs about paying duty nor did they ask us to pay it at LAX. I have no idea if they are making exceptions for U.S. citizens (doubtful) or simply don't have the personpower to follow up on small duty payments (more likely). At any rate, we were over the per person limit each time and nothing has happened yet. No statements from the government, nothing. They just waived us through. (We were not very much over), just $300 or so.

So be prepared to pay duty, but let us know what happens - I bet you don't have to. California prohibits certain kinds of agricultural products to be brought in, but not beer!

united kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

LeBuiscuitD - thank you SO much for your reply. It is very helpful to me because it actually answered my question!!! The cider will actually be in cans - do I need specially designed packaging as a requirement? or can I just pack it in a case with plenty of padding??!! Thank you again.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

I think the packing question is best answered by your airline, esp since these are carbonated (yes?). Don't want any potential problem in high altitude.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

This has nothing to do with your question, PeacheyPam, but one of the hottest trends in Oregon (that's the state to the north of California!) is producing hard cider here. You (or your friend) might be interested:

https://cydermarket.com/Oregon.html

Eventually California may catch up with us ;-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

You'll have to count that time in dog's years h-B. So I wouldn't suggest you hang around waiting. :) ;) :P

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing in beer from UK

Yep, my concern would be the effect of depressurization on cans. I'm guessing you can ask this of Google and someone has the answer, as obviously, beers and ciders are shipped frequently.