We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

circle vacation of northern and central california

Verona, Wisconsin
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
circle vacation of northern and central california

My wife and I are driving out to California on interstate 80.

We will arrive in Reno on June 22.

June 23 - Lake Tahoe-Carson City area staying at Lee Vinning.

June 24,25, and 26th we have reservations in El portal

June 27 we will visit glacier point and leave through Oakhurst heading for Sequoia.I would like to make it to Sequoia to find a place to stay. It depends how much time we take leaving the park.

June 28-Kings Canyon

June 29 drive through Sequoia heading for Cambria.

June 30- San Luis Obispo

July 1 Drive highway 1 to Monterey and find a place to stay

July 2 drive to San Francisco and find a place to stay

July 3 San Francisco

July 4 San Francisco

July 5 San Francisco

July 6 & 7 drive through Napa Valley heading for Humbolt state park and then on to Redding

July 8 Lassen national park staying around Redding

July 9 driving to Reno and then home

Will I have trouble getting a place to stay in Cambria , Monterey, and San Francisco being that close to the July 4 weekend? I was going to wait until I got to Cambria before getting a motel in San Francisco. Should I make reservations for these places earlier in our trip.

Also the motels that give you free parking seem to be along Lombard street. Are they within walking distance of the downtown area or pier 39 area? how close are they to the trolley lines?

We like scenic drives, short hikes, and historic places.

Any comments or advice on our trip would be appreciated.

thank you

Alcatraz Island
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Historic Sites, National Parks
Muir Woods National Monument
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas, National Parks
Redwood National Park
National Parks, Parks, State Parks, Hiking Trails
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: circle vacation of northern and central california

"...June 29 drive through Sequoia heading for Cambria.

June 30- San Luis Obispo"...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These two towns are 45 minutes apart from each other. Just stay in Cambria and day trip down to SLO. You'll give yourself that extra time for the sights between Cambria and Monterey on July 1.

You MUST pre-book your lodgings for summer travel. We have a short lodging supply and a high demand. You do NOT want to spend your precious vacation time searching for a place to sleep for the night. You could end up in a dump or not find anything at all.

In regards to your question about Lombard Street lodging in SF: We have stayed at the Coventry Inn on Lombard Street several times and have no problem walking to FW. There's a cable car turnaround just below Ghirardelli Square, but the line is always incredibly long.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 23:52
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: circle vacation of northern and central california

>>>Also the motels that give you free parking seem to be along Lombard street. Are they within walking distance of the downtown area or pier 39 area? how close are they to the trolley lines?<<

Agree with the above, but while you will be within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf from Kibbles motel you will not be within walking distance of downtown. However, the Muni bus system will get you anywhere you want to go in the city., and they run regularly in this area. Go to the San Francisco forum and read the Top Questions on the right of the screen (they don't show on a mobile device) and many of your questions will be answered.

You should get your reservations for Camtria, Monterey and San Francisco ahead of time. I would begin now and get reservations which can be cancelled if you find something you like better, or which is more reasonable, closer to the time.

Unless you use a third party site like Hotwire, etc. where you have to pay up front with no cancellation privilege, the usual cancellation time is 48 or 24 hours, with no penalty.

Do go to the San Francisco forum. Regulars there are great about being helpful and knowledgeable

Have a great trip.

3. Re: circle vacation of northern and central california

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:18