We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Road Trip

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
California Road Trip

I am thinking of doing a road trip of the West coast below are some of the places i would like to go, we would be renting a campervan and starting at san fran and working our way down the list, is this possible or is there an easier way we could do this

San Francisco

Santa Cruz

Monterey

Los Angeles

San Diego

Palm Springs

• Joshua national Park

Las Vegas

• Death Valley

• Yosemite

Lake Tahoe

• San Fran

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,057 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Road Trip

Err is your question is this possible ? You have listed plenty of places and it is possible to go from a to b to c.. But where are you planning to stay in the big cities . Camper van or hotel ?

Have you looked at the top questions in the CA forum. There are sample itineraries there plus a primer on the Highway 1 drive . You have SF to Santa Cruz 90 mins away and then 45 mis. South to. Monterey and then about. 7 hour drive without stops to LA which most would say - a stop in Pismo beach or Cambria is warranted

Most would suggest 3-4 full days in SF, LA, SD , two in Yosemite and at least 1-2 days in the other places so you can decide if you have the time to do all this and have 3-4 weeks or are you rushing ..

Which part of the year is this ? What are your likes and dislikes ? Who is in your party ? What specific advise are you looking for ?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Road Trip

How many days/nights? (Your itinerary would require 3-4 weeks to do it comfortably)

What time of year (It matters. Some roads are closed part of the year)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Road Trip

How long total? What time of year (as specific as possible, as some roads may be closed til mid june).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Road Trip

Yes, how long do you have?

Are you referring to a small campervan? Say, under about 19 feet? They are easy to drive and park even in big cities. If you are thinking of a full sized Class C motorhome, say about 26 feet, they are more of a headache in cities.

Depending upon when this trip is, you may not be able to take any kind of RV into Death Valley as the rental rules won't allow it. One company will - most will not.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Road Trip

Definitely possible but also would like to have more info.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Road Trip

I would like to fly out in the beginning of may. There is 2 of us and would be wanting to to travel in a campervan.

We want to spend around 8 weeks in the US altogether. Just wanted to get an idea of prices and travel times between each place. I didnt know if it would be better to fly to Vegas from La as i would like to stay in Vegas for a week. I wanted to do the easiest route getting from place to place dont want to keep backtracking on our selves

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Road Trip

8 weeks?? Even with one week in Las vegas you'll have 7 weeks for the rest of your trip. You even can add the Utah National Parks and even Yellowstone then but may will be a bit early for Yellowstone. June will be better and prob you'll be there then.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Road Trip

Yeah i was thinking west coast for the first part of the trip then wasnt sure what do to for the rest. we will be flying home from san francisco but i can change the flight home to fly from somewhere else. do you have any other recommendations for the west side of australia.. not sure if we are wanting to go to the east coast as it may be too much money

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California Road Trip

You easily can make this trip starting San Francisco and departing there also. Now east coast will be a whole odifferent trip and prob you mean USA instead Australia....

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California Road Trip

"... San Francisco

Santa Cruz

Monterey

Los Angeles

San Diego

Palm Springs"...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Santa Cruz and Monterey are less than an hour apart from each other. You really need to add at least 1 more night between Monterey and LA, especially if you plan on driving the Big Sur coast.

There are camping options in San Simeon, Morro Bay and Pismo Beach.

You WILL have to pre-book campsites to ensure you have a place to park for the night. You can't just pull over anywhere and sleep for the night. You have to stay in a designated park designed for overnight camping.