We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting 4wd

Cartersville
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Renting 4wd

I am not finding 4wd stated as such. Are all SUV's 4wd? I tried the web for Alamo and National. Thanks.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 23:23
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,948 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting 4wd

I can't answer your question, but you have posted this twice. It would be a very good idea to delete one of them so that discussions on the thread will all be together. To delete one, just click on "Report Inappropriate content in the lower right of the message" an when the menu drops down for a reason, click on "remove my post". This will make it much easier for you to read the answers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting 4wd

Not sure about the US, but down here many of the smaller "SUVs" are only 2 wheel drive (hence the term faux wheel drive), so you're right to be checking. Unless someone can provide definitivie advice you will possibly have to contact Alamo or National. Are you going somewhere that you specifically need four wheel drive capabilities?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,879 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting 4wd

No. Not all SUVs are 4WD. My sister has a big Chevy SUV that is not 4WD, my brother has a Toyota truck that is not 4WD, and my dad has a Ford Escape that is not 4WD. My son has a 4WD Escape and my daughter has an AWD car. I have a 4WD truck and an AWD car. Lots of variety.

With this abnormally warm snow-less winter, it is unlikely that you'll need 4WD for Yosemite and/or Sequoia NPs. But if that's what you want, then specify it in your rental agreement. As a US resident (Cartersville Georgia?), you'll pay a much higher price for a 4WD SUV. (Foreign visitors get a better deal on upgraded cars.)

4. Re: Renting 4wd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37