We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

Newcastle
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

Hi,

I have booked a flight into LA arriving on the night of 24th March. My return flight is booked from Vegas on the evening of 2nd April. This gives me 10 nights, 9 days and I was originally going to stay in La then Vegas (been to both before but my boyfriend hasnt). I am considering trying to fit San Deigo in as I have not been. Is it possible? I would be happy to fly between the three if it made it easier or did consider the train from LA to San Deigo?

Any comments/advice would be soo appreciated!! Also on where best to stay in LA and San Diego?

Thank You.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

anything is possible. depends what you want to do in each city. as far as accommodations go...again...depends what you want to do and what your budget per night is. the train from la to san diego is a good idea and then fly from there to vegas. personally 3 cities in 9 days would be too much for me. i'd do san diego and vegas but...as said...you didn't tell us what you like to do.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

Quite possible - 3 days in each city would be fine for an overview of each. LA's a bit bigger than the others so perhaps 4 days LA, 2 SD and 3 Vegas, or something similar. Depends on how much you want to do in each.

Flights between LA and San Diego aren't really a good idea - they're usually either expensive if non-stop, or entail a stop somewhere way out of the way, like Phoenix - and the drive is only a couple of hours and so once you factor in airport security and all of that, its usually better to drive or take the train between the two.

Flights between Vegas and LA or San Diego are much more worthwhile, as they can be found relatively cheaply (try www.southwest.com and www.kayak.com) and since these drives are 5-6 hours (and there is no train service to Vegas from LA or SD), it makes more sense.

Where to stay in LA depends on if you will have a car, or not, and your budget. Without a car, Hollywood near the intersection of Hollywood blvd. and Highland Ave. is your best bet - big public transit and tour bus hub, and a touristy area. Otherwise, many more choices depending on budget - West Hollywood, Beverly Grove, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica or downtown LA can all work well depending on your itinerary.

Newcastle
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

Thanks for the responses... much appreciated!!

My budget per night for LA and San Diego would be no more than £100.00 per room if possible and I will not have a car. For LA i would like to do the typical warner brothers, olvera street, Griffith Observatory, Farmers Market, Hollywood, Rodeo, Venice beach, Santa Monica, baseball/basketball game etc. I would quite like to stay round Santa Monica if thats safer to walk around at night as last time i was there I stayed near Robertson Blvd in Beverly hills which I liked also. I dont mind on location as long as I am central or in a decent area to get around via public transport or taxi's on a night if required.

I have never been to San Diego and afraid have not read too much on what there is to do I have just been told its a lovely place to visit? Again I am interested in sightseeing, beaches, walks just general places of interest... shopping of course!! Maybe a walk over to Mexico? Someone said you can do that as a lil trip accross the border?

I did consider if 2 days here would be enough or if I should just forget SD all together and while in LA visit Miami beach and maybe even Santa Barbara for the day before heading to Vegas?

Vegas I want to stay on the strip and there seems to be plenty choice and great value for the hotels so I am not to worried. I would prefer 4 days so that would only give me 2 in SD if I kept with 3 in LA.... Am I answering my own question here and is it looking like a better trip if I just stay with LA and Vegas :) Ha

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,404 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

Your budget works out to about $163 per night (don't forget room taxes are 15%) so probably too low for Santa Monica but hopefully one of the regular posters from SM can comment. That is a fairly low budget.

5. Re: LA, San Diego and Vegas in 10 nights, 9 days. Is it possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26