We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coast - Highway 1

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Coast - Highway 1

My best friend and I have 8 days/7 nights to see the best of the Pacific Coast. Would like to spend one full day in Napa/Sonoma as well, perhaps a tour from San Fran. to Napa so neither of us have to drive that day and will be able to enjoy some wine. Any suggested itinerary for the week? We'll be traveling in April. Don't want to spend too much time in the car. Want to enjoy some bike-riding along coast for a day, some short hikes. We're thinking San Fran. to LA is too much. If we do San Fran. to San Luis Obispo, which airport should we fly home from? Thanks in advance for your input. Highway 1 has been on my "bucket list" for years.

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
A Day in LA Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,095 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

You might want to start by reading some of the Top Questions on the right side of the screen (on a computer or tablet) to get ideas of what is along the coast.

If you travel any further south than Big Sur you might as well go all the way to LAX and leave from LAX or BUR. The airports at SLO or Santa Barbara are small and expensive.

With 7 nights I'd do 3 or 4 nights SF, 1 night Monterey, 1 nights Pismo Beach, 1 or 2 nights Santa Barbara and fly home from LAX or BUR late afternoon.

But you somewhat need to nail down what you'd like to see so you know how many nights in each area.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

First of all, thank you for your input. If we are most interested in beautiful scenery, short hikes/bike-riding, would you recommend not going further south than Big Sur area? Then flying home from San Fran? We're a little nervous about navigating around LA airport. Have heard about traffic and busy highways. I did read some of the Top Questions on right. It's helpful. Thank you.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

The LAX airport area is not a big deal. The biggest traffic issues are during afternoon rush but it's likely you'll be on a plane heading home before that time. You'll be dropping the car at an off-site rental lot so you won't be driving into the airport. From there, you'll take a free shuttle van to your terminal. LAX is less than a mile from the Century Bl exit of the San Diego Freeway. Many of the car rental lots are near one another between the freeway and the airport itself.

Here's a map showing the route from the freeway to the airport -- I've highlighted the car rental lots:

http://goo.gl/maps/ENSOg

Alternatively, if you don't mind 737's, Bob Hope Airport (the Midway of Los Angeles) is a small, 2-terminal airport with car rental lots IN the airport -- some, not all of the companies have this. So, you drop the car, walk 30 seconds and you're in the terminal. Easy.

I believe only southwest flies to Chicago from BUR and they do land at Midway. All flights stop at least once in PHX, San Jose, Las Vegas or Denver but BUR is such a pleasant place from which to fly, you might be okay with that.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

I suggest a loop trip:

SF: 3 nights

Monterey: 2 nights

Cambria: 1 night

Return to SFO or to San Jose to fly home via faster Highway 101/85/280

Listened to a discussion between my boss and fellow co-worker a few days ago about how easy it is to fly in/out of San Jose

Edited: 05 February 2014, 01:44
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

If you would be ok with driving through Chicago proper to get to O'Hare, then LAX and area will be fine.

But, I like the loop idea better, as with 2 nights in Monterey there's more time for hikes and other activities without having to worry about carrying luggage with you or moving on to a new accommodation.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

Do I need a reservation?

Socaltess1962@gmail.com

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

Hi Theresa T

Best to start your own thread, as this one belongs mcguigg 1 and the responses are directed at them and their trip.

Be sure to include your travel dates (Time of year matters). How many in your party (Adults/kids), how many days/nights and where you want to visit.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

How do I start a thread?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

From the California Forums page, look for the "Ask a Question" box above the list of topics. The box will be yellowish/gold.

10. Re: Pacific Coast - Highway 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:16