We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

In April I will be dropping a colleague of at LAX for his flight back to London before I need to be in the Bay area of San Francisco on Monday morning.

I am looking for something different to do over the weekend rather than just driving to the area on Saturday and relaxing on Sunday.

Does anyone have any great hotel recommendations?

I really like live music of almost any genre so if there is a gig happening that you know of along the ay let me know. I'm not a sporty person so running, jumping, skiing or horses are not really my thing.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Pete

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,508 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

I am confused by your post. you have someone to drop off . you are driving and you want hotel recs ? where ? what do you want to do ? Music gig ? What type ?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

Sorry it was a bit of a ramble.

Yes I am dropping someone off at LAX on Friday.

I then need to be in the Bay Area of San Francisco for Monday mid morning.

So I have Friday eve, Saturday and Sunday to get from LAX to the Bay.

The obvious thing to do would be to drive straight there on Saturday and relax on Sunday but I am looking for some local knowledge for anything along the way that would not be obvious to a tourist.

As for hotels - I can of course look for a Best Western, Holiday Inn etc etc but the internet sites are not likely to tell me about that really great small hotel that only the locals know about.

Music - so long as it is live then any genre is fine. More into rock, blues, county than rap or pop but that doesn't rule them out.

So Basically what I am saying is I have 2.5 days free in the space between LA and SF.

What is there that is not so obvious from general internet searches.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,508 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

have you been on the coastal route ? It takes an over night to do that and perhaps you can stay in LA Friday night and in San Luis Obispo which is a college town on Saturday night and then you can either do hwy 1 and get to SF late at night or drive to Monterey and stay Sunday night

The California forum is to plan your overall itinerary and once that is done please use the local forums to help you find a place to stay and music restaurant choices

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

If you want help with music gigs, it would help to know the dates of the specific weekend in question.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

Do you care about beautiful scenic routes or nature? If not, you may want to just get to SF in the fastest way possible (Hwy 5) and enjoy the music and all that the fine city has to offer.

Otherwise, there are some small towns along the way (belo mentioned San Luis Obispo which has a lively evening scene) that might fit the bill.

Dr. Z

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

The dates are Friday 11th April & Saturday 12th April.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

Here is the heart of the problem - I go to Vegas every April for a trade show. I tend to fly into LA as my work is connected to the film industry and then we drive to Vegas. This year I have work in the Bay area on Monday 14th and 15th April before I fly back to UK.

Thanks Drill n Fill and Belomiser - part of the problem is I have already done US 1 from SF to LA.

I have also been to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia - that was a great holiday and we took 10 days to drive from LA to SF - stunning.

In previous years I have done Death Valley and Big Bear Lake - all equally stunning.

I have been to Fisherman's wharf and to be honest that is my fall back position.

But San Luis Obispo sounds like a possible - being a lone 50 year male I am often careful to avoid college bars etc - don't want to give the wrong impression but it is true to say that most college towns have a good night life.

Thanks

8. Re: Driving from LAX to San Francisco Bay area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:18