We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage in a convertible

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage in a convertible

Hi,

Just a quick question, we are hiring a Ford Mustang convertible, and have now started our luggage for our 3 week trip!

Could any one help, the boot (trunk) of the Mustang......would it fit 2 large cases, even if the roof is down?

They are 92 litres capacity, measuring Dimensions H 79 x W48.5 x D27.5cm each

Any help would be appreciated! We've looked on the Mustang web site, but it doesn't help.

Thanks

Julian

Mentioned in this post
Julian
Julian
California
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage in a convertible

I don't think they will fit. According to the Ford web site, the trunk capacity is 9.6 cubic feet. Your suitcases combined are 7.15 cubic feet. This leaves only a couple of cubic feet to spare, which means that the trunk would have to be almost the same dimensions as your suitcases for them to fit. If you want to rent the convertible, I think you need to do 2 things:

1. Pack lighter

2. Pack multiple small bags rather than 1 large bag each. These will be more flexible so that you can pack them around the oddly-shaped space in the trunk. A small suitcase and a duffle bag each will serve you better than 1 large suitcase.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage in a convertible

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think we may need to reconsider then.....

1, the wife can't be convinced that we pack lighter

2, we are limited to one bag each on the flight over

Any suggestions for a car to use for 3 weeks in September, just the two of us?

When we were in Orlando last year, the car rental firms removed the parcel shelf (sorry! not sure if it's called the same thing in the US, it's the flap that stops people looking in the trunk) do they do this in California too?

Thanks again!

Julian

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Julian
Julian
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,008 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage in a convertible

Here is a video of a 2012 Mustang trunk youtube.com/watch?v=8lJBw_HkFGU

Time 2:24 shows a 2014 trunk youtube.com/watch?v=PXkzstj8B2I

This one is amusing because the wife is doing all the packing while her hubby is yakking. I also can't figure out if they cook anything while camping. youtube.com/watch?v=X4aclKAlR24 Note that there isn't an easy way to get at anything once the trunk is full and that most of their stuff is in soft sided duffels.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage in a convertible

That video was really useful, thanks!

Wondering now, whether I could get some form of soft sided bag, plus one suitcase, that way I should be able to squash it all in......hopefully!

Thanks

Julian

Mentioned in this post
Julian
Julian
California
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage in a convertible

If a Mustang is out I suggest to rent an midsize SUV for 2 people (Ford Escape or similar) Will be cheaper than a convertible also.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage in a convertible

Just get a regular sedan.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,240 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage in a convertible

>>would it fit 2 large cases, even if the roof is down?<<

We tried to rent a convertible a few years ago, traveling with two regular-sized roll-a-board suitcases. They would not fit, not matter what configuration I tried. Gave up and got a sedan. The problem is the trunk is odd-shaped... sort of an upside-down T. Sort of simultaneously too narrow, too short and too shallow.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage in a convertible

You could get a hard-top Mustang. I was given one a few years ago when a rental office at SFO was short of cars. But, being a rental car in the USA, it was an automatic which seemed to somehow miss the point of a Mustang.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage in a convertible

Congrats on you 50K Nick!

Mentioned in this post
Nick's Laguna Beach
Nick's Laguna Beach
1,396 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage in a convertible

I'd get a regular sedan with a sun/moon roof. Save money. We usually splurge on a premium class car since my wife likes leather seats and they usually have large trunks (we always check the trunks before confirming which car we'll take off the lot). I learned to drive on a Mustang in the 60s, but the last time I rented one, in 2001, it was a rather small, gutless car. They may be much better now. Friends of ours rented a convertible in Florida and ended up driving with the top up most of the time, due to wind and sun. Very few rental cars are manual shift.

Doesn't sound like you really need a SUV, and luggage isn't as secure as in a regular trunk, but last year we twice rented cars in the "luxury" category, and once got a Volvo X60 and the next time a Lincoln crossover SUV, of about the same size (NOT a Navigator!), and both were very comfortable and easy to drive.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 11:42
Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
California