We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

I'm doing a last minute trip north to Jenner from San Francisco tomorrow (Mon., 2/9) and was wondering about an alternate route. On the map, it looks like I could turn off the coast at 116 and head toward Cazadero, then take King Ridge Rd., Seaview Rd. and Timber Cove Rd. back to the coast. Is this a reasonably safe drive given that it might be wet conditions tomorrow?

Also, their website says Kruse Rhodie Park's day use restrooms are closed... are there other restrooms in the park or am I out of luck, toilet-wise?

And when it says Fort Ross is closed on weekdays, can one still wander around the site, or is the whole thing closed off?

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

Yes, from 116 you can do Cazadero Road to King Ridge Road, ending up in Plantation. Then take Seaview Road back south to either Timber Cove Road or Fort Ross Road.

But I don't really know why anyone in their right mind would do that route now while we are having unsettled weather conditions. Actually I don't see a reason for doing the route at all. I am wondering why you want to take King Ridge Road.?

Why not just take the gorgeous drive up Hwy 1 from Jenner to Fort Ross to Timber Cove to the road for Kruse Rhododendron?

I have property at Timber Cove, but I do not know the current state of when Fort Ross is open.

I also do not know the state of the bathrooms at Kruse. But ...is it too early for blooms? I have seen camellias beginning to bloom here on the central coast but not rhododendrons.

It is a gorgeous drive. from Jenner north, rivaling Big Sur. Take it carefully and I would NOT suggest your King ridge route. There is no advantage to it.

Do stop for a coffee at the Timber Cove Inn, for a coffee ad the floor to ceiling fireplace and the views.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

Puter, my goal is to find new routes up to Jenner... I love Hwy. 1, but was thinking of seeing if there was another scenic possibility. And yeah, the unsettled conditions were weighing in the decision. So is the route not scenic at all, or not scenic enough to be worth the driving situation?

I know nothing about flowers, and suspect it might be too early for blooms, but again, the park is something I've not seen before.

And I'm staying at Timber Cove, so will definitely enjoy the fireplace and views. In fact, maybe I'll just go straight up, forget the sightseeing, and settle in!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

Well, I didn't take the King Ridge route (but might next time... a local said it was quite pretty), but it turns out the road from 1 to Kruse is unpaved for about 4 miles. I was traveling alone, and wasn't getting cell reception even on the coast, so decided that it was probably prudent not to risk being stranded so I skipped the grove.

But yes, Hwy. 1 is a beautiful drive. It occured to me that going north from San Francisco, you get to unspoiled coast much faster than going south.

On the bathroom front, all the Sonoma Coast State Beaches had their restrooms closed, so not a lot of options other than paying the "bathroom tax" to a local cafe or such to get a cup of hot tea and use the facilities.

4. Re: Kruse Rhododendron Park and Fort Ross

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26