We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

Hi all,

Have read a lot of other posts, so apologies if people feel they are repeating themselves!

I fly into SF at the end of Feb, am staying with a few friends there, then getting a car and heading off inland.

I have reservations at Phantom Ranch in Grand Canyon on 6th March (leaving SF on 27th Feb), and before that would like to go via Death Valley, Las Vegas, Joshua Tree before heading to LA on 11th March.

I have been to Yosemite and Sequoia NPs before, so would like to see something new.

Is heading up to Lake Tahoe and spending some time there (Treetop Adventure / snowshoeing) and then down 395 through Independence, Lone Pine and Bishop a good idea?

Then a couple of days exploring Death Valley.

Into Las Vegas for a night, then Hoover Dam, into GC.

From GC, to Flagstaff - from there along the 40 (66?) down to Joshua Tree NP, then make my way to LA.

A few questions - what am i missing?! A ridiculous question I know but i wonder if I am going the right way north of SF then back down?

Also does anyone know if any river rapids will be open at this time of year?

And LA theme parks - is Knotts Berry Farm any good - it looks like it's one of the few that is open every day?

I'm sure I have more questions, but thank you for any help you can give / suggestions welcome!

I love outdoors things - any extra hikes/activities would be welcome, love eating and drinking.

Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

Knott's Berry Farm is a very good Theme Park in Southern California, but there are many open every day (maybe closed for Christmas) in Southern California, including Universal Studios, the Disneyland Resort and SeaWorld San Diego. Six Flags Magic Mountain and LEGOLAND are open year round on weekends and selected other days.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c4071/Californ…

As for Knott's, it is America's First Theme Park and a nice well rounded park with shows attractions and roller coasters, plus good shopping and dining, good for folks of all ages. Also reasonably priced (lowest price of the main parks in California), buy them 3 days or earlier in advance at the website below.

www.knotts.com

Edited: 10 February 2014, 20:17
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

No white water or other rafting. Water too cold and probably too swift.

Other than Death Valley or Joshua Tree, or snow activities, it's really the wrong time of year for other outdoor activities along your proposed route.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 20:22
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

I love that chicken restaraunt at knotts berry farm

4. Re: Road trip - SF to LA inland...Feb/March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 07:18