We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Layover in LAX

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
International Layover in LAX

Hi, I arrive in LAX at 2:30 pm from Atlanta and have a seven hour layover before going on to Sydney at 9:50 pm

I'll by flying alone (first flight alone ever) and don't really wanna sit there for 7 hours. I've always wanted to try In-N-Out and I know there's one not far from the airport. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to get to and from in-n-out quickly?

Also, on international flights is your baggage automatically transferred or do you have to check it again? I don't wanna risk missing my flight

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,806 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Layover in LAX

With which airline/s are your flights?? The same or different??

IF you have one ticket , not 2 , then your bags will be transferred but it would be good to tell us the airlines as you may have to change terminals and you should know that before you leave the airport.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,572 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Layover in LAX

If your luggage is checked through on the same airline or one of its code partners you will not have to deal with it during your layover. It should automatically be transferred from one plane to the other. Just be sure that when you check it in Atlanta you specify you want it checked all the way to Sydney.

Just to be safe, I might ask this question of your airline.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 23:48
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Layover in LAX

If you booked your two trips from the same airline and have just one ticket, the luggage will be checked through. If you booked at two different times, you will likely have to pick up and transfer your luggage.

There is an In an Out not far from the airport - probably about a 15 minute walk, at 9149 S. Sepulveda. Walking would be one way of getting there. A taxi is impractical unless you don't mind paying them to wait while you go inside - and then, they won't let you eat in the taxi, you'd have cold In n Out fries (ugh) on your hands. It really is best if eaten immediately (if you enjoy their kind of fries - which you might not know till you get there!)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Layover in LAX

Yeah, if you walk on World Way out of the terminals to Sepulveda Blvd. and then north on Sepulveda, it can be done. The area where the terminals are is fairly large - if you were at Terminal 1 the walk would be rather shorter than if you started at the International Terminal.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International Layover in LAX

I know I fly out of LA with Virgin Australia, which is paired with delta. If I remember right I also fly out of Atlanta with VA, but that seems kinda weird since that's a domestic flight, so the first flight might be Delta. But I booked all the flights at the same time, and they're all on my itinerary on Delta.com

6. Re: International Layover in LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 07:19