We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Down, Northern...
Level Contributor
4 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

We are hiring a car in Las Vegas and are flying home from San Franciso 3 weeks later. Where are "must sees" during the trip? Should we drive from Las Vegas down to San Diego? Is it worth visiting? Or should we should we just drive to Los Angeles? Some people have told us Los Angeles isn't really worth a visit? Is it easy for us to go to Yosemite on the way up? Where else should we visit? Thanks :)

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Where to visit depends on what you like to do.Do you like theme parks or art museums or do you want to hike or visit a movie studio? On the right side of the webpage (the full size one, not the one for mobile devices) are sample itineraries and answers to FAQs.

San Diego and LA are both worthy of a stop. Very different things to see.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

It depends on when you travel - winter, summer or fall. Here's one option in the fall tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Hello, travelling_parrots. If you could provide a bit more information about yourselves it would help!

What do you like to do? When are you visiting?

Do you prefer cities or countryside? Beaches, deserts, mountains?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

The when of your travel is the most important thing for us to know. You will be traversing some of the more extreme environments in the continental U.S. (deserts and mountains). 3 weeks is a long time. You could do a lot of different things. I'm a National Parks-enjoying person, so...there's that.

Of the two cities, I find Los Angeles more interesting than San Diego, but since I've lived in California all my life and been both places (and Anaheim) many, many times, that makes it very different. I guess San Diego is fascinating to many people, but to me, Santa Barbara, Cambria, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Francisco are far more interesting...

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

With 3 weeks starting Las Vegas and leaving from San Francjsco you even have the time to make a much longer trip out of it like LV-Zion-Bryce-Page-Grand Canyon-Los Angeles-Yosemite-San Francisco.

Down, Northern...
Level Contributor
4 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

We are going in June. Yes would love to see the National Parks. Like to see everything really, I am a fan of beaches and the countryside but would also like to visit the big cities. Thanks for your suggestions.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Beaches galore in the greater LA area and San Diego but you also can stay at places like Pismo Beach/Avila beach between LA and Yosemite/SF. And even Carmel and Santa Cruz.

8. Re: Road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 07:18