We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone wouldnt mind checking over an itinerary that myself and my wife have planned for our California trip in late May of this year. We are flying from London on May 22nd direct to Vegas, I hope the below breakdown makes sense...

22/5 to 26/5 -Las Vegas including a day trip to the Grand Canyon.

26/5 - Leave LV and spend one night in Death Valley

27/5 - Leave DV and drive to Mammoth Lakes for 2 nights

29/5 - Leave ML and drive to Yosemite, probably staying at Evergreen Lodge near Hetch Hetchy for 4 nights

1st June - Drive from Yosemite to Monterey. We have found a place in Marina we would like to stay and relax near the beach for 4 nights

5th June - Drive to San Francisco via H1, possibly stopping at Santa Cruz for a night. 4 nights in San Francisco. Fly home 9th June

We are both experienced behind the wheel so will be sharing the drives, the biggest of which I believe is from Yosemite to Monterey at about 4 hours. We are both in our 30's and used to driving around the UK, however I think California will be a load more fun than the M25 in rush hour!

Between us I think the main spots we want to spend a decent amount of time in are both Yosemite and San Fran itself, aswell as allowing ourselves a good few days R&R on the beach at Marina. I've tried stagger the trip between Vegas and Yosemite so that we have sufficient time to take in scenic detours and stops along the way to see places.

If anyone has any thoughts on the trip they would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Pat

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Hi

I would not want to make GC a daytrip from Las vegas. That's 10 hours on the road and you'll miss sunset/sunrise highlights at the rim I'd stay overnigt, see some of R66 on the way or back and Hoover Dam. reservations needed www.grandcanyonlodges.com If all booked www.tusayanhotels.com

Don't confuse the so called Grand Canyon West to the National park. That's not the same.

Hopefully Tioga pass between Mammoth and Yosemite will be open but no way to predict. It usually opens before Memorial day weekend.

Evergreen Lodge is in Groveland app 1 hours drive from the Valley. I'd try to stay closer .

With 4 days Monterey you can see hw1 south of it (most scenic stretch between Carmel and Cambria) but you also can add one night Cambria. Drive from Yosemite to Cambria and up hw1 to Monterey next day.

Tet

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Hi Tet, thanks for the reply.

We were looking at doing a flight / helicopter day trip out of Vegas to see the Canyon, that way we wouldn't have the extra driving whilst staying in Vegas, sorry if i didnt make that clear.

An hour drive to Yosemite from Groveland is ok for us, we had a look at accomodation and Groveland seems to offer more value for money as only Curry Village was left in Yosemite when we looked.

Thansk for the heads up on Cambria, i'll check that out

many thanks

Pat

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

As Tet mentioned the best part of the CA coast is the drive south of Carmel to Big Sur Village (and to cambria ) but if you go as far as Big Sur Village and back to Marina and do point lobos, you will have seen some amazing stuff.

I don't know what you know about our beaches in NorCal but they are normally cool to cold -- Santa cruz has some nice parts and water that is less cool in Summer but Marina and the rest of the NorCal coast is not what one sees in movies showing sunny california -- that is in Southern California

Why not curry village -- the heart of YNP ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,860 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

>>We were looking at doing a flight / helicopter day trip out of Vegas to see the Canyon<<

But the helicopter goes to tourist trap grandcanyonwest. It is too far to take a helicopter ride to Grand Canyon National Park. Note that you can also see the Statue of Liberty (fake) and Venice gondolas (fake) in Las Vegas. Don't see a copy and think you've seen the real thing. Just enjoy the copies and don't tell your friends.

How about a few nights at the Evergreen Lodge and a final night at Tenaya Lodge just outside the South Entrance? Then you'd be closer to Cambria for that drive. Definitely include the Cambria to Monterey section of Hwy 1.

LA
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

The helicopter trip does not go to Grand Canyon National Park.

I agree Grand Canyon is too far for a day trip from Las Vegas. The best, most memorable views are at sunset and sunrise, so an overnight is always recommended.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

As I said don't confuse Grand Canyon West to the National Park. As my fellowposters have said no heli flights to GCNP but there are fixed wings flight to the national Park and you can fly over (not below the rim) the NP from GC airport in Tusayan near south rim.

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Hi all, thanks for all the assistance.

I think we will take the advice and do an overnight stay at GCNP if we can find some accommodation. Is Flagstaff too far to stay overnight and then drive for a visit? I guess its about an hour away?

We should also be able to drive from Yosemite to Cambria in one day so thanks for that tip, the coast does look amazing

Belomiser, yes we know the weather isn't very Baywatch but that's fine with us!

LA
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Best choices:

1. Stay inside the park

2. Stay in Tusayan, which is just outside the park boundary, 11 miles from the canyon rim

3. Stay in Williams

4. Stay in Flagstaff

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,860 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Grand Canyon NP forum page: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157

Relevant Top Questions on that forum...

-What are the lodges like at GCNP?

-How can I get a room with a view of the Grand Canyon?

-Where to stay over night at the GCNP South Rim

-Where should I stay at the GCNP?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas to San Fran - Two week Itinerary

Flagstaff is 90 miles (1.5 hours) from GC and not on the direct way. www.grandcanyonlodges.com for GCNP and www.tusayanhotels.com for Tusayan but try to stay inside the NP. If the website doesn't show availability you always can call for cancellation 888 297 2757 inside USA and 303 297 2757 from outside.