We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

Singapore, null...
12 posts
Save Topic
LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

Dear all, my wife and myself will be doing a road trip as per above. Would that be possible if we do this in June ?

The plan is to touch down in LA and be around for about 2 - 3 days, then Grand Canyon for about a day, Las Vegas for 2 - 3 days, Yosemite for a day, down to Solvang so as to take the coastal drive to San Francisco where we will stay for a couple of days before flying off. Is that alright? We are also tinkering with the idea of flying to Hawaii for a couple of days from SF. Cheaper from San Francisco ? Or are there any other places with cheaper flights?

We also came across this car rental service which is extraordinary cheaper compared to the rest. Is it really true? The car rental company is Ec****y Car Rentals.

Any kind souls please ?

Thx. :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,766 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

This will work, sort of.

LAX - L.A. (3-4 nights) - {long drive to} Grand Canyon NP (1-2 n) - {5 hr drive to} Las Vegas (2-3 n) - {drive thru visit of Death Valley to} Lone Pine (1 n) - Yosemite Valley (2 n) - {across the state to} Cambria (1 n) - Monterey or Carmel (1 n) - {short drive to San Francisco where you drop the rental car} SF (3 n) - SFO

You absolutely must have lodging reservations for the National Parks, and I think everywhere else as well. The Top questions on each forum destination page will help.

Car rental ideas.........

As a foreign visitor to the US, you can take advantage of some excellent pricing offered by 3rd party booking companies.

www.RentalCars.com (Used to be CarHire3000)

www.drive-usa.com (Some options for a one way drop fee included or for underage drivers.)

www.usrentacar.co.uk (Some options for a one way route finder without an extra fee.)

Try the .co.uk version of your favorite rental company. Be sure to tick the box for your home country.

Renting a Car in the USA (long thread from Road Trips forum) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4713887

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

The drive from L.A. to GC is about 9 hours, so it takes a day just to drive to it and another day to see it (or at least most of another day). From GC to Vegas is 4-5 hours depending on traffic and whether you can resist stopping at Hoover Dam. I think you need an overnight in Lone Pine if you're going to see Death Valley, and then go to Yosemite for 2 nights the next day.

Yosemite to Solvang is probably 4 hours, without the drive up the coast, which can vary greatly in terms of time - but it's about 8 hours from Solvang to SF via the Coastal Road (there are some road closures).

Fares from SF to HI will be about as cheap as from anywhere else in the Bay Area and more convenient.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

"...Yosemite to Solvang is probably 4 hours,".....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually it's closer to 5, but I wouldn't drive that far south to start the drive up the coast. First of all, Solvang ISN'T on the coast, offers too little return to the traveler for the time and expense getting there and would force you to rush the drive through the scenic parts to avoid driving any part of it after dark. I agree with PacificNWFamily.... Yosemite to Cambria. Start the coast drive from there.

Cambria to SF is approx. a 6 hour drive WITHOUT stops. Plan on a more realistic 10-15 hour drive WITH stops. There's a lot to see/do en route to SF.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 23:04
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

I like Solvang and stop there every time I'm driving 101 from LA to SF, but I agree that it's not worth going so far out of your way to visit.

Singapore, null...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

Dear all, are all people over california as kind as your people ? Thank you all so very much for the advice!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

We have our moments, t00tt00t, but we try our best to help people plan the best possible visit with the time they have.

Have a fun and safe vacation.

Singapore, null...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

Hi people, any kind soul would be able to provide us with some advice on which airline to fly to hawaii from the around the bay area so that its easier on the wallet ? :)

Thanks !!!

8. Re: LA > Grand Canyon > LV > Yosemite > Solvang > SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:19