We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast trip 2 weeks

Kosice, Slovakia
6 posts
Save Topic
West coast trip 2 weeks

Hi, We are planing a 2 weeks west coast road trip at the beginning of May. Our initial plan looks like this:

9.5. Arrival to SF 6:30 pm (rent a car, hotel, night city) - overnight SF

10.5. SF (Pier39, lombards street, Coit tower, GoldenGate) - overnight SF

11.5. Yosemite national park (305km SF-Yo) - overnight Yosemite

12.5. Yosemite national park (305km Yo-SF) cca 1pm back to SF (305km to SF), flight SF->LA, - overnight LA

13.5. LA, (hollywood, beverly hills, mesto, santa monica, malibu - Is it possible during 1 day??) - overnight LA

14.5. Death Valley (720km LA-LV) LA to Zabriskie Point (Death valley)(460km) and (150km to LV) - overnight LV

15.5. Las Vegas - overnight LV

16.5. Grand canyon (460km LV-GrandCanyon): HooverDam (55km), GrandCanyon(400km) - overnight Grand canyon - is there any camp?

17.5. GC-Monument Valley (CAMP near this road ???)

18.5. Monument Valley - Bryce Canyon(450km) - overnight camp?

19.5. Bryce Canyon – Zion (140km) - overnight camp?

20.5. Zion – Las Vegas (270km) - overnight LV

21.5. Las Vegas - overnight LV

22.5. LV > LA (460km LasVegas - LA) - overnight LA

23.5. Trip to Tijuana - overnight LA

24.5. LA, Universal Studios, shopping - overnight LA

25.5. airport 6a.m. in LA

Do you have any advice for us? Would you say some of my plans are unrealistic? May we change something? Can we find a camp during noon/night in national parks (tent/car)?

We have booked standard SUV. Is it suitable for 4 adults and 4 suitcase?

Please advise.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

road trips forum as a bit of your trip is outside CA -- you can search for the road trips forum on TA's search bar

you are rushing everything. It takes 3-4 days to see SF and 2-3 to do YNP and LA also takes time. You will also have jet lag.

I would suggest pairing the number of places down a bit

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,816 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

Yes, your plans are unrealistic. I assume that your travel style is to take a peek at a destination and then to move on. Some folks prefer to experience a destination and some folks enjoy ticking the destination off of a list.

The plans are also all twisted around and include more than California. Here is the Road Trips forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

For the California portion, do not drive 4 hrs from Yosemite to SFO, drop the car, wait 1+ hr for the flight, fly to LAX, get a rental car, and begin L.A. tourism. Just drive 6 hrs from Yosemite Valley and stop at Mariposa Grove on the way.

Or drive directly to Death Valley NP. Go around the southern end of the Sierra via Hwy 99 & Hwy 58.

Make your non-California tourism a loop. Don't go to Las Vegas twice. SFO - SF - Yosemite Valley - Death Valley (Ridgecrest?) - Las Vegas - Zion - Bryce - Monument Valley - Grand Canyon NP - L.A. - LAX

Premium Outlets in Las Vegas are a good shopping option as well as malls in L.A.

Tijuana is not a good choice for your limited time.

Get campsite reservations for your National Parks. Check each National Park website.

Buy an America the Beautiful Federal Lands Pass at your first National Park.

Daylight hours www.SunriseSunset.com You'll need to know or you'll be setting up camp in the dark.

---------

We use miles (not km) and write our dates month/day/year. If you prefer to write in your order, please use the name of the month. We can "translate", but it takes time. 9/5 = September 5. But 9 May is clear to everyone.

Kosice, Slovakia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions. I am new on this site (discovered today:) ), so I´ve asked you for an advice.

Regarding campsite in NP. Do we need a reservation or we can go there and buy ticket to camp?

Would you recommend what we must see in San Francisco and Los angeles?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,816 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

Most National Parks have reservable campsites along with a few First Come First Serve campsites. But you need to check each National Park. It's possible that there will be no campsites left when you arrive! Please read the camping info on the Yosemite NP forum page, Top Questions on the right.

Detailed suggestions about each destination like San Francisco and Los Angeles are in the Top Questions on those forum pages. Read the relevant Top Questions (neighborhood, shopping, activities, etc) and then post. You need to tell folks about your travel style in the question. If you are seeking out a neighborhood bar for an afternoon drink or a neighborhood park for your 5 year old to run around, they'll be able to offer ideas. But you need to be specific about your travel style and travel group.

But set your overall itinerary first. Check with folks on the Road Trips forum; make a new post over there. Determine if you & the other 3 adults want a fast paced sample-everything itinerary or fewer destinations that you actually get to enjoy.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,590 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

With your itinerary you are covering a LOT of miles and moving from one to another every day ! Do check how far apart your destinations are..

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,816 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

I just noticed the title. You're missing most of the West Coast! This is more of a southwestern states fast visit.

You asked about car size ~ If I were camping with 3 other adults, I would have a tough time fitting in a standard SUV. Will you have 1 or 2 tents? 4 full size sleeping bags or 4 backpacking (squishable) sleeping bags? Will you be cooking in your campsite?

Kosice, Slovakia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

Hi we will have 1 tent for 4 person. We will not cook. We are planning to buy tent in US. Is wallmart ok for this stuff or some other shop?

Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

Walmart is good for your camping needs.

9. Re: West coast trip 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25