We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From California to Baja

Kingscliff...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From California to Baja

Planning a road trip from LA out to Santa Fe, to Grand Canyon, up to Yosemite, (other hits please suggest) at the end of this month (March 2014). Does anyone suggest heading over the boarder and going down the Baja Peninsula? We prefer more off the beaten track kind of travel. Love great ethnic food and wild natural scenery. Any musts in Baja would be appreciated? Also, does anyone know if its easiest to rent a car from Tijuana rather than trying to take one over the boarder?

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From California to Baja

A road trip through Baja is a bucket list item for me, so obviously i think it is a great idea :-) Whether or not it makes sense for you depends on the rest of your trip. You already have a fairly substancial trip planned, so you may not have time to add Baja. How much time do you have in total? Regarding the car - i do think you will need to rent in Mexico because i dont think you are supposed to take US rentals over the border.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,586 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From California to Baja

You can't take a rental car over the border, so it's not possible to do without your own car.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From California to Baja

where in the baja do you want to go? it's a big area. for example, we drove san diego to la paz...it takes two day each way. you should not drive at night in mexico. and, you'd have to figure out where to rent a reliable vehicle in mexico. interesting trip if you have a week.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From California to Baja

Have you checked into visa requirements for Australians in Mexico?

I am not sure I'd recommend a true Baja driving tour for foreign visitors unless they are very clued in about the state of affairs in Mexico.

There are some nice areas in Northern Baja and Sonora like the Guadalupe Valley Wine Country, Ensenada, Rosarito Beach, San Felipe, Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and more, but again, you really need to research well so you get a full understanding.

I've driven as far south as San Quintín, about 4 hours south of Ensenada and the roads are brutal. I'd never drive to Loreto, La Paz or Los Cabos. We've been to all three, but either flew or were on a cruise.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From California to Baja

I have friends who often do the drive from San Diego to Los Cabos through Baja.

There's a place they stay on the way but I don't know it.

I'd ask on the Baja California forums about the trip because those are the folks who love driving through Baja.

Most USA rental agencies don't allow their cars to go into Mexico but again the folks who vacation or who have 2nd homes in Baja are really the ones to ask about that.

The San Diego forum and other California forums are best for questions about California.

Here is a link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150769-i82-Baja_C…

Edited: 11 March 2014, 18:31
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,949 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From California to Baja

BajaNomad is the forum that Cabo ex-pats recommend. The TripAdvisor Baja California forum mostly just collects threads and has few readers.

7. Re: From California to Baja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:17