We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 1 California - Tunnels

St Ives, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Hi,

I am looking to book our honeymoon. We would like to drive Highway 1 from San Francisco - Santa Barbara. I am claustrophic and would like to know if it is possible to drive it without tunnels. I am ok with small ones when I can see the exit. I would really appreciate help with this. If it is possible could you let me know how.

Thank you for your time

Best Wishes,

Claire

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

There are is only one tunnel that I know of and it's small (and it's on the part where the 101 and the 1 are the same highway - just above Santa Barbara). It is, IIRC, in the southbound direction. You can see it in the film "The Graduate" (although they have a goof, because they are supposedly driving north, IIRC, and it's really southbound).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

There is the new Devil's Slide tunnel just south of Pacifica, it's about a mile long. It was built to bypass the old Devil's Slide section of HIghway One, which had frequent landslides and closed for month every few years.

You can avoid the tunnel by taking I280 south to Hwy 92 west over the ridge to Half Moon Bay.

St Ives, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Thank you so much for your reply. It is really helpful and kind of you to take the time. Is this the only tunnel on Highway 1?

Best Wishes,

Claire

St Ives, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Thank you so much for your reply, it is really kind of you. I am getting excited about our trip :D

Best Wishes,

Claire

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

There are only 2 tunnels on Highway 1. The Devil's Slide tunnel mentioned by bayatuning that you can by-pass using the directions given and one short one along the Big Sur coast that was recently completed to allow rock slides to roll over the top and into the ocean. The one along the Big Sur coast is NOT enclosed entirely.... you will still be able to look out to the sea..... and it's not all that long.

The only other tunnel is on Highway 101, but I believe the tunnel is on the northbound side, NOT the southbound side, so no worries.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 21:40
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

You can have a look at these tunnels via Google Street View. The Pacifica (Devil's Slide) tunnel is very new so perhaps not on Street View yet but it is very short. The one on Highway 101 is at Gaviota Pass.

All are quite short and you can see the exit from the entrance (these are nothing like the tunnels in the Italian Alps).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Stockings-Baker, good thing bayatuning gave you directions as to how to avoid the Devi's Slide tunnel as the two tunnels are over 4,000 feet long! Click below for pictures:

…kqed.org/quest/…

Here is a short video... http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=9041311

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Have you actually *been* through that tunnel h_b?

St Ives, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help. I am feeling much better about it now. It looks a fantastically beautiful drive. I have dreamed of visiting San Francisco since I was a child and finally I am going to make it.

Thank you for the video link about the devil's slide, it would be too much for me at this stage in my progress. So happy that I asked.

I am not sure what you mean by, 'Have you actually *been* through that tunnel h_b?' sorry, I did google it, but couldn't find it. I am sure if I had I would probably know about it :)

You have really warmed my heart, Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Claire

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,305 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highway 1 California - Tunnels

h_b is TA member half-Brit. She wrote Reply #7.