We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

I'll be doing a conference in San Diego this summer from July 16-20. After that we have 9 or 10 days and thought we'd drive up the coast on the PCH and spend a few days in San Francisco.

Any ideas re: itinerary?

How long getting to San Francisco and how long to stay there? Can you see the sequois park without a car? In SF we'll probably ditch the car.

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

Hi

Giant Sequoias are in the Sierra Nevada, around 5,500' to 6,500' elevation. There are groves of Coastal Redwoods closer to San Francisco, and yes, they're along the moist coast.

Without knowing anything about your travel group, travel style, or interests, I'll make a generic suggestion of San Diego - {long day to} Cambria - Monterey - Yosemite Valley {in via Hwy 41 near Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and out via Hwy 120 or Hwy 140} - San Francisco.

Good idea to drop the car when you arrive in SF.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

Think in nights, not days since days overlap.

So lets say 9 nights with a minimum of 4 nights in San Francisco. That gives you 5 nights (6 days) for the drive. If you want to see to sequoias, you have to go well inland to the Sierra Nevada mountain range. If you want to see redwoods, you can do that along the coast on the trip up.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

I probably would not drive further north than Santa Barbara from San Diego in one day, but that assumes you skip everything in Orange & LA Counties.

As PNWF says, an understanding of what you want to see would help and also who is traveling.

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

I think sequoias gave you a bum steer. Redwoods would be fine - I just don't think we have time for a long drive inland.

Its me & my husband, we're both in our 60's, fairly active - though I don't think we'll take up scuba or surfing. We can hike a bit, possibly snorkel, if there's whales that time of year, see whales. Here's a few sites that look like standouts - Hearst Castle - if you don't have to reserve too long in advance, a mission or two - SL Obispo or Carmel , or both - museums - poss. California Science Museum, McWY Falls. About those trees - Muir Woods is north of SF so may be hard to visit without a car, one site said Henry Powell SP would be a less crowded alternative. I don't think we have time to do much in LA - unless there's a really good reason. Sim., I've been to Orlando - really loved it - but this time I don't think we need to do Disney in high season.

Any comments on any or all of this - any must sees or do's - would be appreciated. - Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

Humm. I think you do need to do some reading RIGHT SIDE TOP QUESTIONS. Always a good idea to check them out -- specially the Highway 1 primer and the article on Redwoods. You asked about Sequoias and they are inland . Muir and Henry have coastal Redwoods -- that article will explain the difference.

Yes you can stop at Henry Cowell on the way to see the coastal Redwoods

SD -- Santa Monica - Cambria - Monterey -- SF

5. Re: San Diego to San Francisco on PCH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18