We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

Hi! Need some advise on our upcoming trip to West USA from Apr.25-May.12. We are a family of 6 adults and 1 kid (2x 30 yo, 4x around 55-60 yo & 1x 3 yo). We are arriving in LAX at around 2PM on Apr.25 and intend to rent a van (Ford E350/Chevy Express) and eventually drop off the van in SFO in the morning of May 12.

Our planned itinerary is as follows and would like to get your valuable comments if this is feasible or could we be missing out on a better plan.

Los Angeles

Apr. 25 (Fri) – Pick-up the van in LAX and continue to hotel for check-in.

Apr. 26 (Sat) – Los Angeles

Apr. 27 (Sun) – Los Angeles

Apr. 28 (Mon) - Los Angeles

Apr. 29 (Tues) - Los Angeles

Apr. 30 (Wed) - Drive from LA to Anaheim

May 1 (Thurs) – Disneyland

May 2 (Fri) – Drive from Anaheim to Las Vegas

May 3 (Sat) – Las Vegas

May 4 (Sun) – Las Vegas

May 5 (Mon) – Day trip to Grand Canyon West Rim

May 6 (Tues) – Drive from Las Vegas to Bakersfield*???

*This part I am not certain yet as I just want to break up the long drive from Las Vegas to Santa Clara, Ca where my aunt is living.

May 7 (Wed) – Drive from Bakersfield* to Santa Clara

May 8 (Thurs) – Santa Clara will be our base for day trips around San Francisco & San Jose

May 9 (Fri) – Santa Clara will be our base for day trips around San Francisco & San Jose

May 10 (Sat) – Santa Clara will be our base for day trips around San Francisco & San Jose

May 11 (Sun) – Santa Clara will be our base for day trips around San Francisco & San Jose

May 12 (Mon) – Drop-off van in SFO and departure in the afternoon.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,566 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

You don't say what your interests are so it is hard to give specific advice, so here is my general advice.

DO NOT GO TO THE GRAND CANYON "west". It is not the Grand Canyon. Bite the bullet and drive to the Grand Canyon National Park and spend the night. Drop one night from Las Vegas.

Do not stay in Santa Clara to see San Francisco, it is a very bad idea. It would be like staying in Malacca to visit Singapore. There is terrible traffic between Santa Clara and San Francisco. Visit your aunt a couple of nights and move to San Francisco to see San Francisco.

To break up the drive to Santa Clara, drive from Las Vegas to Santa Barbara. Drop one night in LA and pick up a night in Cambria, along the coast on Highway 1. I would not miss the coastal drive.

If you can give us more information on likes and interests we can give better advice.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

Have you already made a reservation for the car? It's not easy to rent a car like that so book it already before. you arrive.Grand Canyon West requires driving on a dirtoad for 15 miles and with 6 adults you'll pay app $ 600,-- for a dayvisit including Sky Walk. Do as Scott said and go to GCNP not only far cheaper but also far more impressive but you'll be in the car for some 10 hours on a roundtrip from Vegas. Suggest to bite the bullet and drive directly from Anaheim to GC before Vegas. You'll also be in Las Vegas after the weekend then and that's much cheaper for lodging.

Tet

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

Hi! Thanks for all your response and apologies if my first post did not indicate complete info about our interests. My family consists of 4 seniors (around 60 year olds) and 1 baby (3 years old) so we are planning on a relaxed trip although we would like to go to all of the popular attractions around as much as possible as this could be our first and last time there. I have listed down some of our interests below:

1. Disneyland of course for our kid.

2. Outlet shopping

3. Photo ops especially on the Hollywood sign

4. City stroll around Los Angeles

5. Must see the Grand Canyon (based on above comments, we will go for GCNP and spend 2 nights there)

6. Check out night activities in Las Vegas Strip

7. San Francisco Bay / Fisherman's Wharf

8. Alcatraz Day Tour

9. Not sure if day trip to Yosemite is possible

Hope to generate additional advises based on my comment here. Thanks a lot!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

well a day trip to YNP from the SF area is possible but it will be 8 hours of driving with very little time to see. SF is 40 -50 miles North of Santa Clara and can take an hour or more depending on route and time of day and would not be the best place to stay to see SF. Agree with Scott but I guess you are trying to save and stay in SC. Oh well

5. Re: LA - Anaheim - Las Vegas - San Francisco (Apr.25-May 12)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18