We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

My husband and I will be travelling in California in early July. We will be in Auburn for an event, and have 5 days to travel through to Fresno. We will have a car, and are considering Big Sur and Yosemite over that time. We will have been in Lake Tahoe and around the area of the Tahoe National forest for the two weeks prior, along with San Francisco. We both love the natural environment, just not sure if it's better to focus not the forest areas, or is it worth going to the coast as well? We enjoy hiking, but probably not more than short (7 mile) hikes at this point, as my husband will have just run WSER (100 miles). We both enjoy food, meeting people etc, and I've never visited the US before. I am sure they are all popular for a reason, just not sure about making best use of our time.. We don't want to race around to much just to tick boxes. Any advice at all would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

Hi

Are you flighing from Fresno? Or will you end those 5 days in SF? if you don't mind some longer drives you can do:

1. Auburn-Yosemite

2. Yosemite

3. Yosemite-Cambria

4. Cambria-Monterey

5. Monterey-SF.

You should make you bookings for all places as soon as possible.

I prefer to combine Yosemite and the coast to Yosemite and Seki.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

Thanks. We're driving from Auburn on a Monday morning, and flying out from Fresno on a Sat morning (into Phoenix).

If we can only do Yosemite or Sequoia (and the coast), which of the two is worth spending time at? I realise it's probably personal preference, but any info/advice would be handy.

Nadine

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

They both are wonderful places but for a first visit I'd pick Yosemite.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

Yosemite vs Sequoia...

Yosemite is bigger, larger, maginificent, majestic and there will be lots (and I mean LOTS) of visitors. You'll never be alone in the park.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon is less developed, is wilder, more tranquil, and the forest has a mystique - it's an OLD forest and you can definitely feel it when you're in it in the very early morning.. And many times, it will be you and the park with no one else.

I believe that the proximity of Yosemite is a blessing to Sequoia and Kings: it drives visitors away so that you can enjoy Sequoia without the crowds.

That said, there are many reasons why Yosemite is year after year in the top three most visited national parks in the USA, while Sequoia never makes the top 10!

Tough choice indeed. But, personally, I'd return to Sequoia every year if I could, while I'm OK with having seen Yosemite once.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

Does your "early July" trip include 4th of July?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

I will assume you need to stay in Fresno Friday night to catch your flight to Phoenix, so you have four nights. I will suggest you spend all four in Yosemite, visiting different areas of the park. Big Sur is beautiful, but you have beautiful coastline scenery at your home in Australia. And to get there, you would have to cross back and forth through the Central Valley, probably my least favorite driving in California. You will be on the coast while in San Francisco, and could easily visit the Marin coast if you want to see the ocean.

From Auburn, you can drive the gold rush highway (49) to reach Yosemite. It will not be easy to find lodging in Yosemite Valley, but there are usually openings at Curry Village, a tent cabin camp. Or book a small cabin in a small community above the Valley at Yosemite West. This is a good location for visiting the sequoia groves, Wawona area, and Glacier Point. Or you could stay at the historic Wawona Hotel for a night or two. Then you can move into the high country around Tuolumne Meadows. There is currently availability at two of the High Sierra Camps for selected nights around July 1-3. These are tent camps that you reach by hiking, carrying just a light pack with your clothing for an overnight stay. They serve you dinner and breakfast, and the shared tables are a great place to meet people. The staff often includes some trail runners---last time we were at Vogelsang camp we were served dinner by a young woman who had run the whole 56-mile loop between the 6 camps that day! The two that have space right now are May Lake, which is only 1-3 miles from the road ( depending on where you park), and Glen Aulin, which is 5.7 miles from the road, mostly downhill.

Lodging is mostly 4-person tents which they fill up, so you would be sharing a cabin with another couple.

These camps are so popular there is a lottery for the reservations. Any space left after the lottery is posted on the website. If you see space available and want to book, you will need to phone them.

7. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite or Sequoia and Yosemite??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:35