We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lax bores me!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lax bores me!

Hey guys, I have a flight arriving at Lax and after going through the process I should be out of the terminal by 730am.

My lay over is most of the day and let's be honest no one wants to be at LAX.

Is the a train service close by I could catch into downtown or a beach somewhere?

I'm trying to avoid the risk of getting stuck in traffic that's all.

Regards

Matt

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lax bores me!

One of the popular places we suggest for a lay over is to take a cab a few miles south of LAX to Manhattan Beach. Lots of shops, restaurants, surfers, Pier, bike rentals. Bike path is 22 miles long from Redondo to Santa Monica. Cost of taxi is $20.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Another idea is to get a day room at one of the airport hotels down the street on Century Blvd. that have a day rate. The Travelodge LAX has a rate for $55 between the hours of 9 am and 8 PM. You can call for free hotel shuttle pick up.

http://www.travelodgelax.com/

You could also go to Santa Monica, about $35, north of the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
475 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lax bores me!

Will you have luggage with you? The day rate is good idea leave your stuff there then head out and look around places

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lax bores me!

It is helpful to know where you are from, a location in your profile let people make judgments on recommendations as advice might be different for someone from Australia than it would be for someone from Boston.

Luggage is the biggest sticking point. What do you plan to do with it?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lax bores me!

There is bus service from LAX to Union Station in downtown LA - its called the FlyAway bus and is $8 per person each way. It picks up from (and drops off at) each terminal at LAX. Once you are at Union Station you can a) take the Red line subway to other parts of downtown LA and ultimately on to Hollywood, b) take the Gold Line light rail train over to Old Town Pasadena which is a fun area to walk around.

You can basically get to downtown mainly via train as well, but tends to take a lot longer than the FlyAway bus even though the bus is in traffic and the train is mainly not, so is usually not suggested. Basically, you can take the free shuttle bus from LAX to the Aviation Blvd. station for the Green Line light rail train. If you take the Green Line to the Wilmington Station you can take the Blue Line light rail from there to the 7th St. Metro Center station in downtown LA where it meets up with the aforementioned Red Line. Probably will take an hour and a half as opposed to as little as 30-45 minutes for the bus, but that depends on a variety of factors - the bus runs about every 30 minutes for instance, so if you just miss it, you have to add on some waiting time.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 16:14
5. Re: Lax bores me!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:17