We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

Hi everyone,

I would love to have advice on my honeymoon that we are planning for end of July/beginning of August 2014. At this point, this is what we are thinking:

We are planning to fly into Portland and get a rental car there. After that, we plan to drive south and hope to do a mixture of camping and hotel/house rentals (ideally under $200 a night), mostly staying along the coast. At this point we are thinking we would camp for maybe 6 out of the 16 nights, but are flexible about this. We both are active and want to be in as much nature/beauty as possible. We are also planning to spend a couple of days in San Francisco and LA, and possibly a night or two in some of the smaller cities along the way.

If people have suggestions or thoughts about how reasonable this itinerary sounds, how we should break up our time, and the parks that we should try and camp in, as well as towns to visit, that would be great.

Thanks!

Miriam

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

Why don't you do some research and come up with an itinerary and then get feedback so that this is your vacation and not ours Oregon has its own forum and the top questions in the California forum can help you. There are sample itineraries there

We want to help but what you are asking is written in fat guide books and to cover 1000 miles with zero input from you sounds kinda strange

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,636 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

Well, as mentioned, there are certainly plenty of places to do some basic research to get you started, and you do definitely get better responses on the TA forums to specific questions, as opposed to the more general "plan my vacation for me" statements. However, I will provide a few tips from our recent experiences to get you started.

*My favourite part of the Oregon Coast is between Yachats and Florence. Didn't like the Lincoln City area.

*Do a ride on the dunes from Florence.

*check out a few lighthouses.

* You need more time in the Redwoods than you think you do. The parks with the redwoods are really spread out.

* I don't think 5 days to travel between SF and LA is too much. There is so much to see and do through there, and I would definitely have a couple of nights in Santa Barbara and around the Monteray/Carmel area. Lots of info on the California forum about this section, but I'd allow all of your second week for SF, coast drive, LA. Actually, I think you need 10 days if you want a decent amount of time in the two cities as well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

Hi Miriam B and welcome to TripAdvisor. If you click on the blue link below, you will find a TripAdvisor Traveler Article thumbnail sketch of the Oregon coastal towns. That might help your planning:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

For Oregon Coast camping, here is another Traveler Article about RV parks and campgrounds. "Tents ok" is stated if they accept tents. Near the bottom of the article are links to websites for state park campgrounds. You need to book ahead for those.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c137301/Oreg…

You should post on the Oregon and Redwood National Park forums as well. You'll find Oregon here:

tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g191-i3-United_St…

Redwood NP is under California, where it says "Jump to a more specific forum" - use the drop down box.

-

If you are planning to camp in California state parks, south of the redwoods, you MUST book well ahead!

4. Re: 16 day honeymoon roadtrip: Portland to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:16