We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Hello everyone,

I have a big dilemma and cannot decide!

For our honeymoon in September me and my fiance will have a roadtrip between San Francisco and Los Angeles which will last 2 weeks (including Yosemite and Hwy 1). We have one more week to spare, and we are unsure whether to continue the road trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, or hop on a plane to Maui. Money is not an issue, both fit in our budget. Unfortunately we cannot make our trip longer to fit everything in :( We are from Europe so this trip is a major opportunity for us.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Valentina

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Hi Miss Vale. First, congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Now, on to your question. To me this is a simple choice - Maui hands down. Spend as much of your honeymoon as possible in Maui. I'm from LA, so I've had plenty of chances to go to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and the rest of California, so perhaps these places aren't quite as special to me as they might be to you. That said, my honeymoon about 6 months ago was a few days in San Francisco, then a week in Maui. We absolutely loved it and its an incredibly special place. California, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon all have unique and great aspects too (the Grand Canyon is, after all, one of the natural wonders of the world) but, IMHO, Maui is better than all of them, by a long way. Granted, if your tastes are different than mine, maybe Maui isn't for you, but if you like incredible beauty, warm ocean water, incredible beaches, etc. then its the way to go, I'd say.

Here's part 1 of my honeymoon trip report (San Francisco):

And here's part 2 (Maui): tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k686720…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k686722…

Edited: 07 April 2014, 14:59
Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
838 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

I'd finish my trip on a relaxing note and pick Hawaii. I'm not a Vegas naysayer, but the two can't even be compared.

As far as Hawaii goes, each island is unique and offers something different. I'd research and decide if Maui is the one you want to visit. Congratulations and if you go with Maui, I'll be there a month before you.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Without question Hawaii

Las Vegas is only worth a couple of nights, certainly not a week's committment.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Hawaii hands down but I'd go to Kauai instead, the North Shore will be beautiful that time of year with calm water and decent snorkeling. Plus Kauai has Waimea Canyon which Mark Twain once called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.. Good hiking as well.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,424 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Another vote for Hawaii. We Californians love Hawaii. It is a short plane ride away. Kauai is where lots of people go to honeymoon and it is general more quiet - too quiet for some (uh hmm - the one with whom I travel). Maui is nice too with a great mixture of activities.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Thanks for all your votes!

Funny how Hawaii can be "a short plane ride away" :) If I'd travel for 6 hours by plane from my native Italy, I'd be in another continent :)

I'm also thinking that if we won't go to Hawaii now, we might never go... simply because it's just too far away for us and we won't have enough time to put together such a trip.

Wish we had 1 extra week and could do it all!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,522 posts
5,278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Now the hard part - what island in Hawaii.

We honeymooned in Maui and Yosemite but now our favorite in Hawaii is the Big Island.

Honolulu is more a "city feel" with more shopping opportunities.

Congratulations on your wedding.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Jump over to the Hawaii forums, on the generic "Hawaii" forum there is a Top Question (have to be on a laptop or ipad to view it) that is called "Summary of Each Island" which gives you a basic overview, then maybe also check out a guidebook or two from the library (prices will be out of date but the basics are still pretty much the same) and do a little research to see which island is calling your name.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

Maybe fly Las Vegas, spend several days and fly SF to start your road trip. Hawaii after that. One of those day in Las Vegas maybe a fixed wing trip to GCNP and back.

10. Re: Honeymoon: California and Las Vegas+Canyon or Cali+Hawaii?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:16