We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in LA

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in LA

I have posted a few times before but just got a few more questions!

I am staying at the andaz and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is an extra charge for housekeeping? I know some hotels add this to the end of the stay and I wanted to know if the andaz do the same and if you can opt out?

I am a bit of a worrier and just wanted people's opinions on how safe west Hollywood/ Hollywood are? I've read lots of reviews and its a mixed opinion. I just want to know if its safe enough to go out for late nights.

What is the cheapest way to get to and from the airport?

One more, is public transport really as horrific as I've been reading and as confusing? We have opted for no car as the places we want to go are not too far from each other. I don't mind an hour or so on public transport, but is it easy to find our way around on it?

Thanks for any help!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in LA

For public transit, familiarize yourself with the trip planner at www.metro.net (right side of the page) or at maps.google.com (which can give you directions via public transit), or you can also try Metro's smart phone app or Google Map's smartphone app. Public transit is probably not as bad as you're fearing - the local bus network is extensive, just not always the quickest from "a" to "b" and Andaz really isn't in the most optimal location for the bus routes that tend to be the most useful.

No, Andaz should not have a separate housekeeping charge that you can opt out of. Housekeeping is included in the room rate, and mandatory. It is nice, however, to leave a couple of dollars on the pillow each day as a tip for the housekeeping staff, or at worst to leave $2 /3 on the pillow for each day you were there at the end of your stay.

West Hollywood is generally nice and safe. Hollywood is more of a mixed bag - some areas nice and safe, others not so much - Hollywood just use street smarts - stay in areas that are nice, don't head down dark alleys etc. Of course anywhere you've got a lot of clubs / bars together, lots of people drinking, etc., you can always have the sorts of issues that come from people having too much to drink, but beyond that, stick with what I said.

Cheapest way to / from the airport - realistically without a long public transit journey, it would be shared van shuttles (www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com). But these vans might circle the airport a few times to try and fill up with passengers, and then might detour to drop some of the other passengers off before they drop you off. So slower than something like a taxi. You an also try Uber / Lyft (private rides arranged via smart phone apps) or taxi (probably $45'ish to Andaz from LAX).

Edited: 07 April 2014, 21:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in LA

Thank you for your help! We don't mind a bit of a walk to a bus station or train station! Just as long as we don't get lost!

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in LA

I would suggest renting a car ... Los Angeles does not have anything like the public transportation that London has.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in LA

Oops. You have accidentally posted on the state forum page. Go to the L.A. page to read the excellent Top Questions on the right.

Have a great time!

5. Re: 2 weeks in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:16