We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

3 posts
Save Topic
Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Could you recommend a family friendly location close to San Francisco? For example a small town, or suburb close to SF, where I could find a reasonably priced hotel?

We are coming to visit SF and Mountain View with my husband and two kids (ages 5 and 1). We will stay for two weeks, and rent a car for the whole duration of the trip.

Ideally it would be more affordable than the centre of SF and still close enough for day trips to the city, by car.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 12:44
Mount Tamalpais State Park
State Parks, Mountains, National Parks
Mount Shasta
Mountains, Volcanoes
Lake Tahoe
Bodies of Water, Beach & Pool Clubs, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Mountains, Lighthouses
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

What is the purpose of the trip?

For visiting SF itself I think you would miss out on experiencing the city life by staying in the suburbs. Plus, having a car in the City is a hassle and quite expensive.

Perhaps you could stay at a budget hotel in the City without a car for a few days and then move out to the suburbs and do whatever you sre planning to do in Mountain View.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Good idea, thanks! I think that's what we will do, a couple of days in SF and rest out in the suburbs. Do you have any recommendations for suburbs, e.g. is Newark a good neighbourhood? I found an affordable place there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Do you have friends or family in Mt. View? If you want to be close to that area then Newark would not be a good choice. (In fact I don't think it's much of an area anyway.)

The towns on the Peninsula will be more expensive than the East Bay (and for good reason, it's generally a much nicer area) but will be much easier to get back and forth to Mt. View. The traffic on I880 is notoriously bad.

You might even consider Santa Cruz on the coast. As long as you're not driving at rush hour, the drive between Santa Cruz and Mt. View is about 30 minutes.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Santa Cruz is a good idea, thanks! I will check it out.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Please DO check back with this forum when you get a few locations...we'd like your trip to be enjoyable as well as affordable. By the way, you do not say in your profile where you are from. This can help us help you.

Do please edit the profile.

Are you visiting family or friends, or is your husband or you working in Mtn View part of the time?

Do you have a map of the SF Bay Area yet? Newark and Mountain View are both at least an hour from SF in commute hours, which run from 6-10 am and 3-7 pm on weekdays.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,797 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

Do you need to go back and forth to Mountain View daily? If so, I would not choose Santa Cruz. Though true the drive is about 30-45 mins outside rush hours, it is on a mountain road. If one or all of you need to be in Mountain View, then staying in the area would be better. Any of the towns nearby (and Newark is NOT) would be family friendly and suitable. It would help if you gave folks more info the purpose of your trip and your budget. I wonder if you came up with Newark by price.

We have tons of motels and hotels in Silicon Valley for business travelers but many are quite suitable for families as well. Help us help you by giving us more info.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 17:37
7. Re: Family friendly location close to SF / Mountain View?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question