We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

We were planning to stay in Lake Tahoe for a week and fly into Reno. Someone suggested we should start in San Diego and drive highway 1 with a few stops in between and shorten our stay at the Lake to 3-4 days. Any suggestions on where would should stop if we take Highway 1? How long would the drive be and is it worth taking that much time out of Lake Tahoe? We are coming from Cincinnati and only staying a week. Any advice or places of interested to stop or stay are appreciated!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

err that is a lot of driving with very little time to actually see SD or LA or the central coast or SF and then drive inland

If you are interested in doing something besides Tahoe, how about Yosemite NP and tahoe or Tahoe and SF or Tahoe and SF and YNP

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Mandy,

If you were originally thinking of spending your entire time in the Lake Tahoe area, my hunch is that you are not keen on spending much time, if any, in the big cities. Is that a somewhat accurate statement for this trip? If so, I would ---

Fly into LAX (Any chance you could fly into Burbank?)

Night 1 Santa Barbara

Night 2 Cambria

Night 3 Monterey/Carmel area

Night 4 Lake Tahoe

Night 5 Lake Tahoe

Night 6 Lake Tahoe

Night 7 Lake Tahoe

Fly out of Reno

If you need to shorten the above, I would omit the night in Santa Barbara and start with Night 1 in Cambria, and go on from there, and especially if you can fly into Burbank which will make it a bit easier getting out of the LA area.

The Highway 1 coast drive between Santa Barbara and Monterey/Carmel is truly spectacular. It is striking!

----------------------------

If you do want to explore or at least spend some time in SD, LA and SF -- then I agree with the poster who said this is not enough time.

Copper JackRabbit

P.S When are you planning to do this trip?

Edited: 14 April 2014, 20:37
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

The previous poster wrote

>>>The Highway 1 coast drive between Santa Barbara and Monterey/Carmel is truly spectacular. It is striking!

Well from Santa Barbara the road is on 101 which is not the coastal drive but from San Luis Obispo, Highway 1 is the way to go and that is the striking coastal drive. Check the Highway 1 primer in the top questions on the right side

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Have you ever been to Yosemite NP? Maybe combine lake Tahoe and Yosemite. less driving and beautiful places to visit on the way dependig on time of year you are coming.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Thank you all! We are planning to come out 5/31 and leave 6/7. I have been to LA and SF so I don't have interests in stopping there. I would definitely love to travel the coast but agree I would need more time to do so. I like the idea of doing Yosemite for half the trip as well. Lots to think about but I want to book our flights soon before they get too outrageous.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Hello Again - we are talking about going to Yosemite for half of this trip per your recos. Is 4 days in Yosemite, 3 days in Tahoe a fair split? We have a place picked out on the lake...any suggestions on where to stay at Yosemite?

thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

Hi

Recommendations & ideas for Yosemite are on the Yosemite NP forum page, Top Questions on the right. Read the Trip Ideas for some itinerary suggestions. Both are visible on the full TA website but not on the mobile app.

Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

One advantage to choosing your new itinerary is that you may be able to use the same airport for arrival & departure, and thus not have to pay a one-way car rental drop fee.

8. Re: Driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe - Highway 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 07:15