We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

5 posts
Save Topic
SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Hi All: Three adults, leaving SF morning of June 5, need to be in Nevada City mid-afternoon June 6. What can we see and do on the way there that might be interesting? Wine Country? And a recommendation for a place or an area to stay? I know Nevada City is a straight shot pretty much along Route 80 but hope to find something more scenic since we'll have two days. Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

You might want to do a little driving on the coast, visit a redwood state park and drive through a valley of vineyards and wineries, spending the night in Napa, which gives you an easy access to I80 the next day.

This is a "day" trip from San Francisco, but you can add what you wish to it and make it a Napa destination trip for the first day, rather than going back to San Francisco.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Great, thanks....yes; we do not want to return to SF Thursday night; want to stay "enroute" to Nevada City!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Nevada City is nice. Not really close to I-80, but not terribly far (I'd take Hwy. 49 from Auburn one way, and then maybe Hwy. 20 to I-80 the other). There are some small wineries in the area, from Auburn on (do a search for wineries in Nevada and Placer Counties). Why not overnight in Nevada City itself? Another possibility is Sacramento, site of a fantastic railroad museum (not just for train fans). Yes, you could spend a night in Napa if you really want, but it could lead to rushing, depending on your exact itinerary.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

I do like Railroad Museums, as well as RR trips so that's a definite possibility.

Need to be in Nevada City for a wedding: Rehearsal dinner Friday evening and wedding Saturday night in Grass Valley at a private home. Will head back to SF probably Sunday night for plane Monday at noon. So that leaves some time (not much for these east coasters) for looking around: We'll have Saturday daytime and Sunday afternoon.

Thanks!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

http://www.csrmf.org/

http://www.calautomuseum.org/

www.visitnevadacounty.com/pages/wineries.html

sierraculture.com/foodwineart/….U07G2-ZOXtw

http://www.placerwine.com/

placerwine.com/assets/placer_wine_trail.pdf

Edited: 16 April 2014, 19:09
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Thanks for all the great links! Sacramento is a definite possibility with those two museums...perhaps we'll stay there Thursday night and go to the Museums Friday morning/early afternoon before heading to Nevada City.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Hopefully you will have/have already booked your Nevada City or environs lodging very soon. There is a limited supply of motels/hotels/B & Bs in the area. Once when I had to attend a funeral there, I searched every single place and came up short. Had to stay in Sacramento (a much much larger place)

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

Yes, the groom so informed us and so we booked weeks ago in a B&B! thanks...

9. Re: SF to Nevada City with one overnight: Wine Country possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:16