We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

4 posts
Save Topic
1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

Hi- We have adorable twin boys, who turn a year in May!! And we're planning our "first family vacation" over a weekend and celebrate the joyous occasion. The boys have never had a night stay outside, so I am a little apprehensive on where to go, and be able to enjoy without getting too worked up.

We live in San Jose, and are looking to go around a couple of hours away- like maybe Monterey but not too expensive, a reasonable cost (like ~120-150 per night) Since this is our first trip together, I am especially looking at some place which is baby friendly, super relaxing... I am looking forward to spending some good quality time with hubby and the boys, not much of sight seeing.

Please suggest some places, and recommendation for hotels/lodging, things to do. Appreciate your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Desert Riviera Hotel
Desert Riviera Hotel
#1 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 65 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel California
Hotel California
#2 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,397 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

you have mentioned your budget and that is great but what do you want to do there ? When is this trip ? May or later ? I don't think the twins know or would care. In any case Monterey would be fine There is the aquarium -- great for toddlers and Carmel beach and Denis the Menace playground. Munras avenue has some hotels in your budget I would think . Look at Pacific Grove as well.

Don't worry -- there is always a first time. I presume you would like a bedroom and living room or a cottage . If you post in the Monterey forum, the fine folks there can help you

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Munras Inn
Munras Inn
188 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

Your budget for a weekend visit is too low.

Andril Fireplace Cottages or Bide A Wee Cottages in Pacific Grove would be two relaxing options. Both are in a wooded area near Asilomar Beach and are VERY family friendly. Monterey's Cannery Row and aquarium are a short car ride away.

Another option would be Lover's Point Inn (Also in Pacific Grove), which is right across the street from Lover's Point Park and the scenic rec trail that leads right into Cannery Row.

Bear in mind that most lodgings on the Monterey Peninsula have a 2 or even a 3 night requirement.

Dennis the Menace Park would not be appropriate for one year olds. Caledonia Park in PG is often recommended by PGdenizen for younger children, a local TA expert for the Monterey Peninsula.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 20:09
Mentioned in this post
Andril Fireplace Cottages
Andril Fireplace Cottages
361 Reviews
Pacific Grove, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,771 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
648 Reviews
Pacific Grove, CA
Dennis the Menace Park
Dennis the Menace Park
648 Reviews
Monterey, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Yes, we're planning the trip in may. Sorry I made it sound that it would be our first time in Monterey, we have actually been there couple of times- mostly day trips and have seen the aquarium (before the boys were here).

My hubby and I like going on hikes, but now it is usually shorter trails. Do you recommend any other place within a few hours drive?

Thanks

N

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
4. Re: 1st weekend getaway with our twin boys - need help planning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:15