We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week California road trip- advice required please!

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Two week California road trip- advice required please!

My husband and I are thinking about a 2 week round trip at the end of May/ June, starting and finishing in LA. Although we don't really want to spend any time in LA (I've been before and would prefer to spend time in more scenic places!), the flights are currently much cheaper arriving and departing from LA. Our first attempt at an itinerary looks like this so far:

LA - 1 night on arrival

LA to Yosemite - I've read that this drive can be done in 6 hours?

2 days in Yosemite.

Yosemite to San Francisco- 1 day

San Francisco - 4 days

San Francisco to LA- 3 days travelling down the Coastal Highway, including Carmel, Monteray, Santa Barbara, Cambria

LA - 1 night before flight home

We will have 14 days (including day of arrival and departure). I have left a couple of days free as need to have a think about where to spend extra time (that's if there is extra time and our itinerary isn't too ambitious?!)

We would really welcome any thoughts/ suggestions/ criticisms!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week California road trip- advice required please!

Your itinerary is well thought out - now just to put some details to it on what you want to do each day. Once you do that, you might find out where you want to spend more a day or two more.

Also let us know what you enjoy doing - if wine and fine dining you might enjoy some time in wine country for one of those days but if not....that's ok too.

In short you are doing a great job of planning a great trip.

Recommend seeing such guides as

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/

and also checking if specific question top questions or other forum posts here on Trip Advisor.

You will want to firm your reservations in Yosemite and best to book well in advance - many do this a year in advance, so that might impact your plans....So if the May/June is this year do so this week....as that is the part I am most concerned of that it may or may not work. Tioga Pass will be open so if problems finding lodging heck Yosemite West, Groveland area, Oakhurst, or eastern sierras such as Lee Vining, June Lake, or Mammoth. Best to try to be in the park.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week California road trip- advice required please!

Have you already booked your lodging in Yosemite? If not, do it immediately. You may not find any at this late date.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,521 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week California road trip- advice required please!

This is a good basic itinerary. The city/destination forums will have additional tips for lodging, activities, and maybe dining. And definitely Yosemite NP will be the most challenging.

Are you arriving after the Memorial Day holiday weekend?

The coastal drive along Hwy 1 is described in several articles linked to the Top Questions on the right (full TA website, not the mobile app.)

14 days / 13 nights

LAX - L.A. (1 n) - Yosemite Valley or nearby (3 n) - San Francisco (4-5 n) - Monterey / Carmel (1-2 n) - Cambria (1 n) - Santa Barbara (0-1 n) - L.A. (1 n, if needed) - LAX

Things to consider ...

... enter Yosemite via Hwy 41 near Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and exit via Hwy 120 or Hwy 140

... get lodging w/ free parking in San Francisco or drop the car & pick up another one. More info in the Top Q on the SF forum page

... Monterey & Carmel are 'next door' to each other

... Many folks have lunch in Santa Barbara and then continue to L.A. from Cambria. Depending on your departure flight time, you could do something similar.

... There are numerous winery regions that might interest you including Paso Robles near Cambria and Santa Ynez Valley near Santa Barbara.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week California road trip- advice required please!

I agree with Mini. If you have one day extra you can drive east of the Sierra first to Lone Pine/Bishop/Mammoth lakes/June lake for the night. That's a wonderful drive and you'll enter Yosemite via Tioga pass before spending two days in Yosemite.

5. Re: Two week California road trip- advice required please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:15