We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Stop Over things to do or see?

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
LA Stop Over things to do or see?

Three day stopover in LA on route to Hawaii. I've read and re-read review and reports by TA contributors and still undecided.

It’s going to be a long flight from the UK so the first hrs. we will be recovering from jet-lag, so nothing too strenuous the first day.

Day 2 &3 has to maximise the opportunity to be in LA.

Universal Studio ranks No15 on TA which I`m happy to give it a go! I'm not so sure about the other 14 above including the Getty Centre which is rated as the No1 attraction. Is it or is there some place or thing better to do on the other two days for an active couple without risking life and limb?

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Stop Over things to do or see?

Getty is a dramatic building and garden, in a really nice location, with some art inside. Supposedly the average patron spends 5 hours visiting the Getty as opposed to the two hours that is normally allocated by people to other art galleries. This is apples and oranges, but I think that the Getty is worthwhile to visit, kind of in the same way that the Eiffel Tower is worthwhile.

To answer your question of what you want to see, it helps if we know more about you.

Since you are in LA you might as well see a movie studio, so Universal Studios would be OK that way. Their studio tour is easy to plan since it runs every day and doesn't require a lot of advance planning. A downside is that it is mostly a tram ride through the back lot. A tour like Warner Brothers is more real, people are actually working while you are there, but it is more complicated to plan. Universal also has a lot of other things to do, including theme park, shows and shopping. Another unique LA attraction, good for active people, is to bicycle our beach front bike path from Santa Monica to Redondo Beach. A low key activity, but outdoors, is the Huntington Library. They have a large and unique garden to walk through.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5,891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Stop Over things to do or see?

LAX is close to Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, and the Venice Beach areas. Easy just to take a taxi to a hotel there and be right at the ocean.

While I love the Getty, a lot of the treasures there are European. It becomes a more difficult question to answer for you if it is worth it or not. If you want to do the Getty, I would recommend staying beachside for the 3 days...and do Getty Villa instead. Its in Malibu.

http://www.getty.edu/visit/villa/

After your day in Universal, you would have seen the back lot movie tour ....so it all depends if you want to see a working studio. some opt to see a free taping instead. If you want to do for example Universal and then see a TV taping in Hollywood same day, Jimmy Kimmel tapes in the touristy Hollywood area. You might want to see if he is taping while you are in town. From this area you can also do the Walk of Fame, Chinese theater, see the Hollywood sign, etc. So its a really fun day out.

http://1iota.com/Show/1/Jimmy-Kimmel-Live

Edited: 23 April 2014, 06:09
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,416 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Stop Over things to do or see?

I'll vote "No" on the Getty Center. There are so many things I hate about the museum. Here are just a few:

1. It's hard to get to by public transit from most popular tourist neighborhoods and it's 'out of the way' by car, as well.

2. Once you arrive on the museum's grounds, you have to queue for the tram that takes you 'up the hill' to the museum. The last time I visited, it took just under 30 minutes to wait for and ride the tram.

3. It has a Disneyland quality about it. Everything is 'just so'; for example, the landscaping is rotated to maximize 'aesthetic appeal'. Nothing is allowed to 'drop its leaves', turn brown, etc.

4. The place is enormous.

5. There are great views (at no cost) from a number of other locations that are easier to reach.

Have you looked at our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of the LOS ANGELES FORUM page (you and I are on the CALIFORNIA FORUM page, at present). Lots of useful info, there.

Also, look at the TOP 10 places to visit in L.A. as featured in the DK Eyewitness Guide to Los Angeles (google it).

4. Re: LA Stop Over things to do or see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16