We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Hi we are travelling g

For 2 weeks in August with our 4 teens for a family wedding. We are flying into LA, spending one night on the way to Sequoia National Park, two nights in Sequoia and then 2 nights in Yosemite.

I then have one night (and 2 full days) to make it to Aneheim, where we will do the following day in Disney.

I am looking for help for that one night/ 2 days.. Thinking of driving from yosemite to Monterray or Cambria and driving along the Highway 1 for a bit.. Any suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!!!

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

You could drive the coast in that time. You wouldnt really have time to enjoy it and it will be a lot of time in what sounds like a crowded car. Id probably just stay an extra day in yosemite and drive straight to anaheim the next day. But if you prefer the coast, there are lots of recommendations in the top queations threads.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Four teens - you might even consider a stop at Magic Mountain on the way back.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain

or if you do the coast one possibility with four kids is:

I'd probably do Santa Cruz Boardwalk

staying in Santa Cruz

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

then staying in Pismo Beach

http://www.pismolighthousesuites.com/

and then on to Anaheim.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Not sure if the poster before me is reading your posts with one night there is no way you can do Santa Cruz or six flags and be in time relaxed and ready for Disney The OP asks about nature and is being pushed to do more theme parks

I think with one night you won't have much time to see the coast I would either find 2 nights or drive to Anaheim directly

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

"....Thinking of driving from yosemite to Monterray or Cambria and driving along the Highway 1 for a bit.. Any suggestions are welcome!!"....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yosemite to Monterey and then on to Anaheim via Highway 1 isn't really feasible. Monterey to Anaheim is almost an 8 hour drive WITHOUT stops!! With kids, I could see a mutiny on your hands.

And driving to Cambria would put you south of Big Sur, so you really wouldn't get much in the way of coastal views in. Just Cayucos and Morro Bay on Highway 1. Then Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara on Highway 101.

With kids, I would head straight for Pismo Beach and enjoy some relaxing beach time before heading for Anaheim the following morning. Pismo to Anaheim is about a 4 hour drive.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 03:30
ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Thanks for the replies!!

It looks like I am a night short at least!! Would you suggest I cut out one night in Sequoia, doing one night there (would arrive by noon) and then on to 2 nights in Yosemite? That would give me 2 full days and 2 nights along Hwy 1 before arriving late into Anaheim....

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

This is my opinion and my opinion only, but id just skip sequioa. Yosemite is the same but better. Then you have plenty of time to enjoy the coast.

I might have missed it, but are you spending any time in san francisco?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Agree with MD. Spend two nights along the coast one in Monterey and one in Pismo Beach

Anaheim
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Are you thinking of Kings Canyon too or just Sequoia? How much off-road driving are you up for? We go to Yosemite all the time (see my other posts) but Sequoia has it's own delights such as Moro Rock (just Glacier Point South to some) and a Hume Lake lunch and if you are really up for some fun with the teens, do Buck Rock Lookout!

https:/…

My teen son says Boyden Cavern is not worth a trip itself but a nice stopoff in Kings Canyon. We sent the teens in and stayed out next to the cool river.

If you are rarely going to get back to California then I'd say include the Monterey to Cambria drive but it can also be foggy at the coast all day in summer. If you do Pismo then you must drive the car on the beach!

centralcoastoutdoors.com/california-central-…

This is all about making lasting memories. So don't forget Hearst Castle and the Elephant Seals nearby.

I'd say do the coast ( or do Pismo to the Castle/seals and back) Spend just one in Sequoia and start booking Yosemite tonight! And keep calling to try to stay in the valley.

Kinda rambling but maybe helpful,

Rosco

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

Thanks for all the feedback...it is really helpful. We will not have time for San Francisco on this trip, unfortunately! We chose the national parks over San Fran...

So how is this for a revised itinerary?,,,

day 1- fly into LAX, rent a car and drive a few hours towards Sequoia (?bakersfield) and stay overnight

day 2-drive to Sequoia, explore and stay overnight (reservations at Wuksachi Lodge)

day 3-5 Yosemite..have reservations for tent cabins in Curry Village

day 6 drive to and see/stay in Monterrey

day 7 drive to Pismo beach (hwy 1 with stops), explore and stay overnight

day 8 more coast (?santa barbara) ?hearst castle and leisurely drive to eventually spend the night in a hotel near Disney so we can ...

day 9 tackle Disney

day 10..Huntington Beach for 3-4 nights/wedding

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with Yosemite to Anaheim part of my itinerary!!

?any suggestions