We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunsets behind the mountains

14 posts
Save Topic
Sunsets behind the mountains

Hi. I may finally be able to visit California soon (or maybe not), and one of the main things I would love to see, one of the main things, are the sunsets from Santa Monica, Venice and south, while the sun is setting behind the Santa Monica mountains. Since I may not be able to come ASAP around the end of June, when does the sun go down behind the mountains, and what months do they appear to be out at sea?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

<<Since I may not be able to come ASAP around the end of June, when does the sun go down behind the mountains, and what months do they appear to be out at sea?>>

Where do you plan on being that the sun will set behind the Santa Monica Mtns? Are you camping and will you be East of them?

The Sun Sets in the West. Therefore as you are watching it sets in the Ocean.

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Thanks, elizzie. Let's say you are on the beach, anywhere from Santa Monica to below Dockweiler Beach Park/LAX, El Segundo, Mannhattan Beach, etc. when you look up toward Malibu, rather than ocean alone, there are mountains extending out into the ocean. At the equinoxes, the sun sets due west. At the winter solstice, the shortest day in the year, the angle of the sun in relation to the earth, has it setting way to the south, also out at sea. But at the summer solstice and for some time before and after that, the sun sets behind those mountains, not due west but to the north west. It is really beautiful, a classic, even "iconic" Southern California view, though I really hate to call it that. That is what I want to know about: how long can I expect to be able to see that sunset behind the mountains if I can't make it close to June 20? There are actually a couple of sites that will help you figure it out, but I haven't been on a computer and the first one makes my device crash. So I thought I'd ask those with local knowledge and experience.

14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

I hoped to be able to go and spend a week in Venice Beach, then some time in Dockweiler, both with that lovely summer sunset. I just wanted to know when the sun starts setting over water again, which, although it is still beautiful, is not the classic sunset I was hoping to see.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

What are these websites that help you figure this out? I'd like to see that.

By the way, the iconic Southern California sunset pic has the setting sun with a lifeguard station, palm trees, or a pier in the foreground..... Not mountains.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Check out this website http:\\www.esrl.NOAA.gov\GMD\grad\solcalc

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Only in Santa Barbara, where the coastline runs east/west can I see the sun setting anywhere but over the Pacific.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

http:\\www.esrl.NOAA.gov\GMD\grad\solcalc

So, according to the website above, from Dockweiler, it started setting behind the Santa Monica mountains on April 16 and will continue through August 25.

14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Thank you, "White Dahlia". I did sort of figure that in "Kali", I would run into haters. Not necessary, but predictable.

But see, I got pictures. I know that the sun sets behind the Santa Monica mountains from Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Playa del Rey, and for some distance south in the summer, before and after the longest day of the year. Before would be spring, probably starting in mid-to-late spring, but maybe all spring; it may even be setting behind the mountains now. Then, at a certain time after, as summer wears down, perhaps even in the fall, it stops setting behind the mountains as the place it sets moves south. At equinox, it is dead due west again, then south of that, then starts moving north again after the shortest day and longest night of the year. Eventually it starts setting behind the mountains again. And it would be behind the mountains longer the further north you are in relation to those mountains; further south, you can probably still see the mountains, but the weeks that the sun set behind them would be shorter. Since I am pretty sure that a high school friend who'd only been driven through LA told me about them, and this phenomenon that gives those beaches their most spectacular sunsets, I know there are people who take note of them, and how long the sun sets behind them, and when you can count on it, and when it no longer does. So I thought, hey, ask locals on TripAdvisor! Other people do, why not you?

14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Sure, if you are thinking "Baywatch". If mountains speak more to you, the sunset over the mountains behind the pier is iconic. I shouldn't have used the word "iconic" anyway. Lots wrong with it.

14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunsets behind the mountains

Thanks, Martik! Maybe I'll get to see it!

Thanks again!