We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

Hi,

i returned two weeks back, from a fantastic two week stay in L.A. during which we hired a car and drove to Grand Canyon and stayed there for 3 nights and did another day road-trip to Vegas and back.

holiday went very well.

this is the first time i have driven in the USA and i experienced no problems.

being a first time driver in the USA, and being a cautious driver by nature, i drove carefully and my entire drive both times as hassle free and citation free!

however, being a rather paranoid person, i am interested in knowing this:

if at all i had committed any traffic violations, how would i know about this, since i am back in the UK now?

the reason i ask is i will be going back to the US again soon on a business trip and if there were any citations/fines, i would prefer to pay them off than face any issues at immigration.

let me also make clear that my drive both times was hassle free and i wasn't stopped at any time, my car rental agency hasn't charged my anything.... this is just my being cautious.

thks in advance.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

Albert,

I am so happy that you had a nice holiday here!

I do not think you have anything to concern yourself with. You would have known if you had commmited a traffic violation because a highway patrol officer would have *pulled you over* if you were on a freeway (highway, road) or if in a city, a police officer would have *pulled you over* and you would have been told what you did wrong, and you would have been given a *ticket* -- a written document of the vehicle code violation number and who/where to contact to pay the fine. The only exception I can think of is that in some municipalities (cities, towns), they have cameras installed at intersections (where two streets cross) to catch people who *run red lights*, in other words, people who drive through an intersection just after the light has turned red. In those situations, it could take a bit longer to receive the *ticket*. How much longer? I do not know.

Thank you for being a responsible driver!

Copper JackRabbit

Edited: 02 May 2014, 15:46
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

Quite a lengthy post from someone that had a hassle free drive.

Anyways, call the rental agency and ask them if they received any citations for failure to pay a toll or a red light violation. They would get a mailed citation and just bill your credit card.

Dr. Z

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

Traffic violations will be handled between you and your car rental agency. Immigration will not be involved with that at all unless you had been arrested for DUI or other actual crime!

4. Re: L.A. - Grand Canyon, Vegas Road Trip - traffic violations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16