We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 1 Itinerary

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy 1 Itinerary

Hi all, just looking for some feedback for our visit in July. The accommodations are all booked, so I'm looking for things to fill the days and evenings! Restaurant recommendations would also be much appreciated, but budget places are preferred.

Day 1 (Saturday): Start out from Santa Monica and need to be in Shell beach for the night. I was thinking of heading off early, spending the morning on a beach somewhere (which one?! Malibu?) and then going to Santa Barbara for lunch and afternoon. Head on in time for a sunset walk on shell beach!

Day 2 (Sunday): After breakfast (which is provided), head up Hwy 1 slowly. Spend some time at McWay falls and Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP/Beach. Check into our accommodation (Ripplewood resort) late afternoon, then go back down the road 5 mins for dinner at Nepenthe.

Day 3 (Monday): Breakfast at our resort. Head to Point Lobos and perhaps walk the North Shore trail in the morning. Then onto Carmel for lunch/afternoon, perhaps spend time on the beach and wandering the shops. Our accommodation for the night is in Monterey (Stage coach lodge), so not sure whether to have dinner in Carmel or Monterey.

Day 4 (Tuesday): Monterey aquarium in the morning. Head to Santa Cruz for a quick look around in the afternoon. Hoping to do a little drive around of Henry Cowell SP before driving up to Half Moon bay. We don't mind arriving quite late, but I think we might be trying to fit too much in on this day...

Day 5 (Weds): We have the whole day around the HMB area as our flight doesn't leave SFO until 7.30pm. We need to return the rental car by 5pm latest.

Any changes/ideas very welcome, but as I mentioned the accommodation is booked. We love the beach, walking and being active.

Thanks in advance :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Unless you have something specific at HMB, you could also stay an extra night in Monterey. That allows you to explore more of Big Sur and the Central Coast. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

Then on the day you depart, you could do Henry Cowell and Santa Cruz before driving straight to the airport.

But if you do stay at HMB, tidepooling would be recommended if the low tides happen at a convenient time.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Nice plan, Beth. Enjoy your trip!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

"Restaurant recommendations would also be much appreciated, but budget places are preferred. "....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pismo Beach: Splash Cafe (Famous for clam chowder in a bread bowl). Mo's BBQ, Brad's. All in downtown Pismo.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately we will have to keep our reservation in HMB, as we will lose some of our money if we cancel. But we thought it might be a really nice place to end our trip, and the tidepooling sounds a good option if possible. At least we can relax on our last day instead of having to much driving :-)

Does anyone have any recommendations for budget dinner places in Monterey/Carmel? Thank you!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Without knowing how much you're willing to spend:

Hula's Island Grill

Pepper's Mexicali Cafe

Pizza My Heart

Club Jalapeno

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

>>Day 4 (Tuesday): Monterey aquarium in the morning. Head to Santa Cruz for a quick look around in the afternoon. Hoping to do a little drive around of Henry Cowell SP before driving up to Half Moon bay. We don't mind arriving quite late, but I think we might be trying to fit too much in on this day...<<

Santa Cruz is only 45 mintues from Monterey. Half Moon Bay is only 50 miles north of Santa Cruz. You will want to see Henry Cowell Redwoods, I am sure, and there is more in Santa Cruz that you could see or do including having dinner here, before you go on to Half Moon Bay. Or not.

Here is a traveler article to help you decide.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

It includes a link to Henry Cowell. However, I think this is a better link than is in the article. I haven't edited it yet.

www.redwoodhikes.com/Cowell/SanLorenzo.html

If you decide to have dinner in Santa Cruz, let me know what kind of restaurant you would like.

Sounds like a great trip.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 01:28
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Kibbles - thanks for the recommendations. Splash cafe clam chowder looks amazing, and I really like the look of Hula's grill in Monterey. Thank you!

Puter - I was hoping someone would say that it's doable in a day, so thanks! Lol. If we get to the monterey aquarium for 9.30 opening, I think we will probably spend around 2 hours there and then have lunch after (I have seen a crepe place I would love to try). I think we will get going by 2pm and be in Santa Cruz by 3ish. From looking at the links, I think it would be nice to spend a couple of hours on the beach/boardwalk there before heading to Henry Cowell (the redwood grove loop looks like it would be a good quick one for us to do).

We will then need to get something to eat before going onto HMB - would it be best to come back into Santa cruz to do this? Or get dinner somewhere else enroute?

If you think it's best to eat dinner in Santa Cruz, I would really appreciate any recommendations you have. We like seafood, burger/grill places, italian, mexican or BBQ food. We like good food but we are budget-conscious (no more than $10-15 for an entree). Many thanks :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

PS. I'm struggling to find prices for dinner at Nepenthe, but I've read that it's expensive and worried that we might not be able to afford it. Can anyone help and knows the average prices? Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

DId you check the website ? Not sure why you were struggling LOL

Here you go www.nepenthebigsur.com/menu_dinner.html

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwy 1 Itinerary

Haha - I have no idea why I couldn't find that! All this research must be making me cross-eyed... Thanks!

PS. I was on their website for ages and still didn't see it!

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:24