We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

Hey guys,

We are a couple (no kiddies) doing an 8 week holiday of USA. Our Honeymoon!! :)

Spending 25 nights on west coast...mainly in California.

Flying into LAX on NOv 26th & have 1 night accom booked in Newport. After this we have a flexible itinerary below.

27th San Diego

28th San Diego

29th San Diego

30th Anaheim

1st Anaheim

2nd Anaheim

3rd LA

4th LA

5th LA

6th LA

7th Vegas

8th Vegas

9th Vegas

10th Vegas

11th ? perhaps Lone Pine

12th ? Yosemite NP

13-20th San Francisco but open to ideas here... planning to fly out of San Fran on the 20th for New York but this is not booked as yet.

Our plan is to bus? from Newport to San Diego.

And perhaps back to Anaheim the same way.

use public transport in Anaheim & LA.

Hire a car & drive from LA to LV (do a day tour to Grand Canyon Village & south rim)

Hire car & drive from LV to San Fran via lone pine & Yosemite NP.

Any suggestions/tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,860 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

It is highly likely that Tioga Pass (best route between Lone Pine & Yosemite NP) will be closed in early December.

Here are some route ideas between SF (abbreviation for San Francisco) and Las Vegas: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c200326 It would be terrific if you could include both the Hwy 1 coast between Cambria & Monterey AND Yosemite NP in your itinerary.

Nov 27 is Thanksgiving. Many places will be closed.

Nov 28 is a big shopping day, if that interests you.

The Top questions on the Las Vegas forum has details about a day trip to GCNP. Another idea is to drive there directly from L.A., stay overnight, enjoy the next morning at GCNP, then drive on to Las Vegas.

LA
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

You are traveling in California during the months with the worst weather.

Research the conditions very carefully. You will be dealing with short dark days, rain, storms, snow, ice, road closures.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

Take the train between Orange County and San Diego (not a bus) - look at the Amtrak website.

The drive from LV to the Grand Canyon (the national park) is about 4-5 hours each way. I would not recommend it as a day trip. Much better to drive from the LA area directly to the canyon, stay a night there, then drive on to LV the next day.

I would also add another night to Yosemite.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,546 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

For Anaheim, Nov 30th will be the ending day of a busy Holiday, as said, Thanksgiving is at least a 4 day Holiday weekend for most Schools. So you may want to adjust your dates a little.

Dec 1 and 2 should have pretty low crowds, so as long as you are expecting larger crowds on that Sunday, it would at least give you much longer hours and the Fantasmic show as it is not showing during weekdays M-Thurs that time of year.

There is usually a nightly Fireworks show since its Christmastime at Disneyland and usually always a nightly World of Color show no matter what time of year. Hours M-Thurs would look something like 10am till 8pm and longer hours of around 8am till 12pm Fri,Sat,Sun.

Because of weather concerns already mentioned, and snow, ect its not the best time to be traveling to some of your destinations. I would be tempted to leave out Yosemite, and maybe the Grand Canyon and just fly from Las Vegas to San Francisco and spend some nights there. Southwest Airlines has inexpensive flights for as little as $60 one way. And you can add a day to San Diego easily, there is lots to do.

Or, just a drive up the Coastal Road would be nice from LA to SF and spend a few days stopping along that route, would give you alot of good scenery ect. and then fly to LV after your done with SF. Unless someone thinks the weather would not be good to do that?

How many days do you have in New York? I have heard 7 days is a good amount of time there. So you could easily add days there as well, but the weather is likely to be unpredictable that time of year, and likely very cold.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

Thankyou all so much for your replies.

I'm a little disheartened regarding the weather now :( I just thought I would regret not seeing the Grand Canyon as who knows when/if we would ever again be in the USA.

Happytotrip... we were thinking about 1 week or more in NYC as we are meeting up with my brother & his wife for 4 days over Christmas. 23-27th Dec we will stay together hopefully in an apartment close to central park/times sqare. At the moment most apartments are about $500 a night....do you think I would find anything cheaper or is this a good price?

We fly out of LA for Australia on January 21st 2015. Would the weather be nicer in California then? we could fly back west & spend our last 5 days travelling from SF to LA??

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

Amzduncmeg,

Take some ideas from ours plans here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k743053…

It's a big road trip.

LA
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

If anything, January will be colder than December.

Grand Canyon south rim is at 7,000 ft elevation, so you would be seeing it in freezing weather, possibly with snow on the ground. Can be quite beautiful, but you need to be prepared.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,546 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

I have very limited knowlege about NY, just that you need a week there at least ;) I would suggest posting in that forum, they will be glad to help you plan that part of your trip, as well as the other specific City forums you want to visit.

As suggested you CAN visit the Grand Canyon South Rim in wintertime, but the weather will be cold, and likely snow. But if you want to do that, just be prepared for it. The posters in the Grand Canyon, Arizona forum are very helpful, and can help you alot with that part of your trip

Billingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

I imagine you have done some research in to the average temperatures in November for the places you plan to visit. The latest i have visited the west coast is at the end of September.

But two places at least i would not miss are Yosemite Park , takes your breath away.And Zion National Park

which is absolutely stunning.

Also Lake Tahoe is very pretty, Before i go on, do you have car hire for the firsy leg of your journey?

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California +Vegas 25 night holiday Nov 2014-Jan 2015

I wouldn't let potential bad weather keep me from the Grand Canyon. I visited once in February - it snowed on and off (mostly on) for several days. It was absolutely gorgeous under snow! We didn't need tire chains, just slower speeds and care while driving. You would just need to be prepared for the cold, and have plans for alternate activities when it's too uncomfortable outside. (There are several museums and the Visitor Center, or you could drive east to Wupatki and Sunset Crater for a half day.)