We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Cruz to Pacifica

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Cruz to Pacifica

I'm planning a road trip from San Diego to San Francisco, mainly on Route 1, and wanted to ask if anyone had gone up Hwy 1 from Santa Cruz to Pacifica (So. San Francisco).

How long would it take if I drove through without stopping through this segment?

Is the scenery worth the time or am I better off taking Hwy 17 to the 280 and cutting across?

Thank you!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,669 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

Lots of people take that route. It is quite nice with srveral places to stop and sightsee.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

If you have already driven the Big Sur Coast you have seen the best of our coastal scenery. From Santa Cruz to Pacifica is nice, but not outstanding. i would suggest Hwys 17/85/280. We make it to San Francisco from Santa Cruz on this route in under two hours, and Hwy 280 is a beautiful freeway....seriously....as it goes through the foothills of the coast range.

If you are planning on stopping in Santa Cruz on your way, here is a traveler article with some information. Let me know if you have further questions.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

It all depends on how much time you have to do the drive from SD to SF . SF needs 3-5 full days to get a flavor and if the drive from SC to Pacifica (it is not South San Francisco which by the way is a different city south of San Francisco) will cut into the time you have in SF then do the 280 drive.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

As I said, you can do the Santa Cruz to San Francisco drive on 17/85/280 in under two hours. Unless ou have a specific reason to visit Pacifica, I would do the route I suggested.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

I often take that route to avoid stressful commute traffic. The road is two lanes until you get to Pacifica, and is quite an easy and relaxing drive. I'd stop at the few beach viewpoints just for a few minutes, anyway. Ypu can see where California grows its broccoli and artichokes in the fog.

What exact time are you planning to drive to Pacifica?

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
816 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

I'd stay on Highway 1. You can also cut over to 280 at 92 in Half Moon Bay. It's a beautiful stretch of road. Views are great and some fun places to stop along the way. It seems like there has been incidents on 17 almost everyday lately and I sat in one for an hour + on Friday, so taking Highway 1 can be much faster and relaxing than 17/85/280.

7. Re: Santa Cruz to Pacifica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:16