We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

My husband and I will be travelling for a total 14 days from LA to San Francisco (stopping overnight at Santa Barbara. San Luis and Montrey)then on to Yosemite (staying at mammoth lakes) then on to Vegas.

How much money do you think we will need for spends- food, drinks, fuel& toll charges? We have a standard ford focus hire car.

We fly Saturday so would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Rachelle

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Welcome to the forum.

Do you already have hotelreservations? You're coming in the Memorial Day weekend. Do you know that from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth Lakes still is a 3 hours drive? Only tollroad is 17 miles drive near Monterey and you'll have to pay $ 20,-- for driving into Yosemite unless you have an America the beautiful pass. And there's cashless tolls on Golden Gate Bridge coming into SF.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Thank you for advice on toll roads - yes I have already rebooked hotels for the whole of my stay.

I'm just unsure whether £1600 for 2 people( approx 2698 USD)

Is enough spends for 14 days - fuel, food & drink?? Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

That would be enough for us. We usually spend some $ 150,-- per day for that for the 2 of us.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Oh great thanks- I've pre booked Alcatraz tickets so that an excursion paid for.

Compared to UK prices I think america seems cheaper for food /drink. Most day we will be happy buying a sandwich for lunch and will be eating on the go a lot!

Is fuel fairly cheap? I've calculated we'll be driving some 1,100 miles over the 14/15 days and we've hired a standard Chevrolet.

And finally is Vegas expensive for shows/rides/actitvities? Unsure whether to book in advance or just pay once we get there at the hotel.

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

For gas prices see http://www.gasbuddy.com

Sorry, I can't help regarding what fuel mileage you'll get with the car.

If you're going to be visiting a lot of national parks and/or national monuments then it would be worth purchasing an "America The Beautiful" pass at the first park you visit instead of paying individual entrance fees at each park. Details here: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Hi Rachelle S

Check with folks on the Las Vegas, Nevada forum for tips about your tourism.

GasBuddy will help you with fuel planning costs. On your way to Yosemite NP (are you staying there or just driving through?) from San Francisco, buy gasoline Oakdale if you're using Hwy 120, in Merced if you're using Hwy 140, or in Oakhurst if you're using Hwy 41 (and visiting Mariposa Grove first.) It can be as much as $1 per gallon more inside the National Park and in towns near the entrances.

Buy a small cooler when you're in L.A. so you can keep picnic lunch foods & drinks with you. I think picnics are a great way to enjoy a Road Trip!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Right and also Bishop is a lot cheaper for fuel than Lee Vining and fuel in Death Valley NP really is expensive but still a lot cheaper than in UK.

You sometimes can buy good food at the supermarket deli's but you won't find them in Yosemite. Mammoth Lakes (and Bishop) have good Vons supermarkets. We use a discount card for those places (also valid at Safeways)

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

Great advice thanks everyone- any recommendations on must sees/dos I have 2 nights stay in Mammoth Lakes:

1 afternoon in Yosemite(will have travelled from SF early am)

1 full day in Mammoth Lakes

1 full day Death Valley (en route to Vegas)

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

If it was me then I'd far prefer to spend a day in Yosemite (one of the most beautiful places on the planet) than in Mammoth Lakes (a touristy skiing resort).

But it's not me, it's you - and if you've made reservations then the die is cast anyway.

It's all about personal choices and I'm not knocking anyone who would prefer Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite - I'm only stating my own opinion here.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spends for Los Angeles-San Francisco-Las Vegas road trip

There's a lot to do from Mammoth Lakes. Off the top of my head: Mono Lake and it's south tufas, Trip to Bodie ghosttown, Devils Postpile NM, Convict lake, June lake, Bishop and its Laws Museum. Old Bristlecones from Big Pine. One full day won't be enough to visit all those places though.