We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

I am planning to drive from Long Beach airport through the Highway 1 to San Francisco. I will change to Highway 5 from Monterey on the next day morning. Any suggestion for which place is the best place (Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey.......) to stay for overnight? Also, where should I stop and have lunch and dinner? Many thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

The most scenic part of the coast road is between Cambria and Monterey, and that is also the most remote with very few accommodation options, so most people stay overnight in Morro Bay, Cambria or perhaps San Luis Obispo. Then you'll need a second overnight stop in the Monterey area unless you rush the road which would spoil it and be dangerous.

If you're heading for San Francisco then I-5 is of no use to you, it's much too far to the east and goes through Sacramento, not San Francisco. Do you mean US101?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

Do you also want to drive hw1 from Long Beach to LA? That will be a timeconsuming affair. Anyway following hw1 all the time you'll never make it to Monterey in 1 day.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

Cambria is the recommended mid way stop, but even that will leave you with a good 6-12 hour drive the following day. 6 hours WITHOUT stops. Several more with stops along the Big Sur coast and Monterey/Carmel.

As mentioned, I-5 is too far east from Monterey to even be logical for reaching SF. The quickest route to SF from Monterey is Highway 1 up to Highway 156 to Highway 101 north to Highway 85 north to I-280 north. Sounds confusing, but it really isn't. That route takes approx. 2 1/2 hours from Monterey.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 13:08
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

For the LA part, from Long Beach you will want to take the 405 freeway north to Interstate 10 west. Stay on Interstate 10 until it ends and you will find yourself on highway 1 headed north towards San Francisco. Highway 1 between Long Beach and LA is basically a route on city surface streets, with lots of traffic lights and its mostly inland so no real scenery. The route above is quicker. There are scenic routes through LA to where highway 1 rejoins the coast in Santa Monica but they can be slow going - but if you have the time and want to do that, let us know and we can give you details.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

Starting 13:00 Long Beach Airport

↓ by either hwy 101 or hwy 1, I am not sure which one has less traffic

1st stop 15:30 Santa Barbara

↓hwy 101, change to hwy 154 then join back hwy 101, start hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo

2nd stop 18:00 Cambria

↓hwy1

ETA 2030 Monterey (Stay overnight)

For Monterey to SF, I will follow…. Highway 1 up to Highway 156 to Highway 101 north to Highway 85 north to I-280 north.

Do you think it works?

Also, will I have the sun set view when I drive from 1800-2000 from Cambria to Monterey? Or I will get a dark view?

Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

I think you underestimate time spent in places like Santa Barbara and Cambria, as well as the drive itself. What time of year is this trip? And, NO, you don't want to drive Big Sur after it gets dark. There would be no point. It's all about the views, which you won't have if the sun sets on you part way up the coast. I estimate Long Beach to Monterey to be close to an 8+ hour drive WITHOUT stops!! There is NO way you can make it through Big Sur before it gets dark on you, even WITHOUT stops en route.

Please re-think your plan and stay south of Big Sur that night

7. Re: Long Beach to Highway Coastal 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:18