We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

Hi, some of you already know by now I have been allover Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur and SF forums trying to come up with my final plan. I have been asked to repost CA forum so it's in one spot. Family with three kids 11-15 (we use blow up mattress, so 2 double beds is fine)in Reno for sporting event for mid July. Doing a side trip.... I have read the threads, I learned about many fantastic things to do, struggling with what to focus on.I have about 5 days. Flyout city is not yet determined will be dependent on final itinerary...looking at activities that are close to free....Yosemite, Kings Canyon, SF (only care about poss Golden Gate bridge, Fishermans-no big ticket attractions), Big Sur Scenic route from Monterey to Cambria and great beach for my teens. I have to admit SF gave me bit of a sticker shock, so if I stay there...no more two nights. Yosemite, reasearching avail (tournament came up recently, so late in planning) and avail is slim or too expensive for my budget. I want to stay withing $160 or so a night...still researching it. Many have given me a boat load of great info already, but they asked that I repost...just in case. Thanks so much for helping me develop a great road trip.....

Edited: 21 May 2014, 01:58
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

Thanks for putting in all in one place!

Some more questions... do you mind moving every night? Initially you said you didn't want to stay at a place for just one night when someone suggested you stay on the Eastern side of Yosemite.

$160 is still very low - tax included? I know you have done the blow up mattress in a 4 occupancy in other places, but SF is really not the place to do this and risk getting kicked out. I don't know about other locales.

Given all of that...

Reno to SF - 2 nights (maybe detour to look at Tahoe/Sand Harbor?)

SF to Santa Cruz /Monterey- 1 -2 nights (Santa Cruz would be a good beach)

Monterey to Cambria/SLO/Pismo Beach - 1 night (Pismo is a good beach for the teens)

Fast route back to SJC via 101.

For redwoods - you can go to Muir Woods north of SF or Henry Cowell in Felton on your way to Santa Cruz.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 02:06
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

... and are you kick3 as well or part of the same group?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

Oh yes, my spouse and I have two sep log ons. Sorry.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

I figured so. ; )

If you really still want to do Yosemite and nothing else comes up in your search and you do not mind driving and moving around, how about this for coast and Sierras.

Reno to Lee Vining or Mammoth Lakes or June Lake - 1 night. See Mono Lake, Devil's Postpile.

Thiis a a long day (read the one day itinerary in the Yosemite forum)- wake up early to drive up Tioga Pass and stop for Olmsted Point, drive into Yosemite Valley, then Glacier Pt. Depending if you have more steam... Mariposa Grove for the giant sequoias (different than coastal redwoods). Spend the night in the foothills or Central Valley where you will find your familiar motel chains.

Drive to Monterey Peninsula - 2-3 nights there to see Monterey and maybe daytrip or overnight in Santa Cruz. You can drive to Big Sur and McWay Falls and turn back.

Drive up to SF for 2 more nights. Maybe ditch the car?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

Yosemite Lodge at the Falls has a room on July 15th. It will probably be reserved quickly.

6. Re: Repost-ideas for visiting Yosemite, King Canyon, Big Sur...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15