We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

homophobia out of cities

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
homophobia out of cities

My partner and I not at all outwardly 'camp', a lot of people might just think we are two friends - however do you think we might get any grief at things like booking into motels in smaller towns, going into small town bars/restaurants etc?

Thanks for any advice

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: homophobia out of cities

I don't think you'd have any problem at all.

Small town folks are friendly, of course I can't speak for all of them. But if you're not doing anything that would cause them to feel uncomfortable, there wouldn't be any reason that they would...

Besides, lots of guys travel around together.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: homophobia out of cities

I don't think it will be a problem. Even rural Californians are quite used to vacationing gay couples and people who rely on tourism for their $$$ are unlikely to turn down anyone's $$$.

P.S. I live in the suburbs of OC, considered to be one of the more conservative areas of the state and noone in our neighborhood seems to have a problem with the lesbian couple who lives next door to me.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: homophobia out of cities

I agree completely with Al, within Calif. we pretty much have a "live and let live" attitude--and good business people had better follow this thinking or they'll be out of business. There may be a few instances where small-minded staff present problems, but frankly, they would usually be the type of people to treat with disdain ANYONE who interupts their agenda. I would imagine that most of the places you'll visit and stay at will not be in super small towns anyway, where untoward scrutiny or nosiness could crop up. Good wishes to you in your travels!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: homophobia out of cities

Actually, on the flipside, people are getting more and more grief if they are heterosexual, especially in several notable places in New England. Discrimination is alive and well. Now, it is heterophobia.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: homophobia out of cities

Darth--are you serious about this??

6. Re: homophobia out of cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 23:19